Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new work room

Hello everyone out there
    I have just moved house with out buildings, which are currently being converted, into workrooms for my curtain and blind business.
    I have been working on my knees from my previous property for some time now so this will be great when the job is finished. Has anyone any advice as to how big to make my table? Have been looking through the forum and most advise on 28ml deep mdf but not to the size to make the table. Any advice would be most grateful
    Thanks Karen

Re: new work room

Hi Karen

You may find this post interesting - Click here

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

A full size table tennis table is ideal, check the Argos Catalogue.

Happy Day's Eileen Mercury.

Comment

Hi Karen

I am in the process of opening up a new showroom, with a workroom upstairs.

Looking at Clive’s workroom, made me jealous, so I have cherry picked the bits I thought would be of use (and in my budget) and apply it to my way of making.

After much deliberation and talking over with colleagues, my worktable is 2.5m long x 1.5m wide. I have a couple of shelves underneath for storing fabric and hung hooks on the side to hang the scissors etc. Most of the windows in my area have drops of less than 2.5. Also when making roman's if it's a long one it is great it fits on the table or two of us can work on smaller ones simultaneously.

I have also found other postings about irons, blind hemmers, tag gun etc. extremely helpful too. Since (I hope) this will bring in more business, I need to find more time efficient ways of turnaround, but at the same time not compromising of quality.

I personally find the whole processes better than Christmas, but I know you will be the soul of discretion and not tell!

HTH
        Morag

Comment

If you know what is the maximum length of curtains you will be likely to be making, then you can make your table that long - mine is 3m. For the width, you really need it to be at least 140cm/54" to accommodate one width of fabric, so 150cm is ideal. This is good, because a sheet of plywood/chipboard is 6 ft. A table tennis table is really too low - you will get backache. Your table should really be about hip height. You will have to have it made - get a shelf added as well for extra storage. Put it on castors if you need to move it at all. Cover the top with bump and tightly stretched calico or sheeting, stapled underneath.

I've also just moved into a new workroom, but for the moment, we've just extended the top of my table - waiting till DH is in a good mood to ask him to remake from stratch. Will post some pics.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Originally posted by Morag
            Hi Karen
            hung hooks on the side to hang the scissors etc.
            HTH
            Morag
            Sounds great - cant wait for the pictures! Just at thought are you likely to walk into the hooks when adusting fabrics etc?

Comment

re. height of table - IKEA's office furniture range sell table tops and various legs to put them on. Some of them are height adjustable. If you can get to an IKEA it might be worth taking a look for ideas, or you might find you can buy a set of height adjustable legs (upto about 107cm I think) and fit them to your own top.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...e/10368/11845/
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Forgot about this topic when I was converting second sons bedroom into a workroom. Table was a problem which was solved by buying two B & Q kitchen base units minus the doors and drawers. There are possibly less expensive ways of doing this, but the IKEA legs were just not sturdy enough to take the MDF board to waist height. Two cabinets, back to back are fine., shelves underneath for storage. Legs were put to their minimum height for me. My board is only 3x4 which is enough for me, although I can use Morag's enormous one if I ask nicely. Only problem is that the board tends to walk, pushed by me working on one side, but DH will sort that for me over Christmas. The decorating of the room will need to wait.

Enid

Comment

Now that I'm developing a bad back after cutting on the floor & working at a table that's too small & too low for the past couple of years, hubby has finally been persuaded to help me reorganise my workroom and make a decent worktable (hopefully 2.5m x 1.5m) Still haven't persuaded him to let me swap my workroom with the kids playroom (which is bigger) but that'll take time (and lots of tears & tantrums on my part I suspect )

Somewhere I've seen (or think I have) a structure attached to the end of a worktable which holds one or two rolls of fabric (probably standard & b/o lining) which can be pulled out off the roll straight onto the table for cutting.....anyone got anything like this? or know where I can find a photo of such a thing?
                  Jane

Comment

Have sent you some pics Jane, didnt want to post on here as they are not mine and i'm always wary of posing pics on the net that arent mine.
                    If anyone is interested let me have your email addy.
                    Sharon

Comment

Yes please Sharon...my email is in my user info.
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

and me please

[email protected]
                        K W Designs
                        Bournemouth

Comment

Sharon you could post the pics in the private members area where only those with a password can see.

Philip
                          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Have sent pics.
                            Louise, i couldnt find your email so used the one on your website =)
                            Phillip, i would still rather not put them directly on the net, even in the restricted area. I wouldnt mind if they are my own but these arnt. I did put a pic on recently that wasnt mine but i did get permission from the owner of it. I dont know where i got these pics from, have had them for a while.
                            Sharon

Comment

Thank you Sharon!

Comment

Working...
                              X