Blind Hemmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind Hemmer

I have today collected a blind hemmer. Was completely against them when I first started my business - everything had to be hand sewn. However as time has gone by and I have got busier and never once been asked the question - 'Will the hems be hand sewn?' I decided to buy one.

Its a machine off of ebay so didn't cost a fortune, just wanted something that would do the job. I have played with it all afternoon (haven't hemmed any curtains yet but have been practicing on other materials) and its a fantastic piece of equipment.

I will still hand sew the hems of some curtains but now it will be down to my descretion and its got to make things easier and for some people more affordable!
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Blind hemmer ... aka Felling machine

Well done Karen - Another convert! You'll double your production, or at the very least save hours of your time hand sewing hems..

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Re: Blind Hemmer

I'm really excited about this, I think there is definately a place in the market for the type of quality product that you will still produce from using this machine.

Philip you are so right - I've been Converted!!!

Don't get me wrong if someone is willing to pay for hand sewn hems I am more than happy but like I said I haven't had anyone ask me for 5 years if the hems would be hand sewn.
      Kindest Regards,
      Karen

Comment

Hi Karen
        i too am after a blind hemmer do you mind me asking what make you purchased ?
        many thanks

Comment

Hello

I too have an industrial Blind Hemmer (Brother) I dont get much of a chance of using it - because I mainly work for a shop, who sell 'handmade' curtains. They have asked me to make a pair of unlined curtains (machine made) which I have done so using my blind hemmer for the sides and the seams. I just wanted to say I am sooooo pleased with the results - what a great finish it produces, I just want to blind hem everything!!!

The words 'Machine Made' does it mean thrown together, poor quality? You can make a good quality pair of curtains with a hem that has been blind hemmed! and save time.

Am I the only one that is chuffed with my results! Does anyone else use a Blind Hemmer on a regular basis? Do you offer your customers a choice?

Kathy
          K W Designs
          Bournemouth

Comment

Hi Kathy

I don't mention hems to my customers and so far they have never asked. In practice I always blind hem the hems of lined curtains even if I do the rest of the work by hand. I still make all of my interlined curtains by hand including the hems.

The blind hemmer can be used for other jobs. John Lewis blind hem the sides, tops and hems of their express service buckram headed curtains. I probably would not go for that generally but for an Express Service I would. After all how else can you get them out in three weeks?

I still love doing all my work by hand but blind hemmers are great - Hems are usually hidden after all.
            Karen Rhodes
            Karen Rhodes Design
            Pole Design

Comment

Hi Kathy - I only have a portable blindhemmer (it is an Artisan, same as a Tacsew) but I use it often on bottom hems of the face fabric, as you usually can't see them after lining is added. I also use it on sheers, because I think the result looks better than handsewing. I bought mine originally for a commerical job, but have used it quite frequently in the years since. Because it is portable, it doesn't work with anything thick or interlined, but I do get to use it quite frequently.

I do both retail and wholesale, and find that some of my designers linings work better with it than others - I guess it is pretty finicky. That is OK though, because I usually like to hand sew my sidehems.

Liz

Comment

Hi LSS,

Sorry for the slow response on this.

Its a Strobel with a Singer Motor - its very old and came from ebay but it works perfectly well.
                Kindest Regards,
                Karen

Comment

This blind hemmer has come up for sale on ebay - Bargain for anyone living in or around Rotherham.. Well worth a look at for £75!

Philip
                  Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                  X