Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chairs

Hello ...

I've recently been having muscular discomfort in my back and assumed it was my posture while hand sewing at my work table - I've now decided this is caused by my stiff, solid wood work room chair. This chair has no give in it and isn't at all soft ad it probably causing my pain. I have decided to buy a new chair but have worried about chairs with wheels on .. Any advice please?

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Re: Chairs

I use to sit on a wooden stool and also found that I was having problems with my back. I have recently purchase a couple of cheap computer chairs with wheels on (on special offer from Tescos for £5.95). So far it seems to be sturdy enough and I haven't found the wheels to be a problem. It's also useful to be able to swivel the seat around to reach for things.
    Regards

Andrea

Comment

My thoughts exactly Adria! I'm off to Argos..

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I have a new chair and feel myself feeling better already!

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Philip,
          Some computer chairs are ergonomic - better for your back. I bought one recently from Viking Direct, and it's very comfortable. Having wheels are great, as well - it's much easier to push back to get up from the table.
          Pen
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Good to hear your reaping the rewards of your new chair already Phillip.

I sit on a bar stool that gas operated and it has a moulded seat. alas it doesnt not have wheels I wish it had, it would be so much easier to wheelie around the table and good fun too during those boredom moments!!!!!!!!

My hairdresser has a brilliant one and I am always eyeing it up when I am in there to see if the height is right. Its like a riding saddle with bars around the base of the saddle, its gas operated so you have adjust the height. On the bars I would make some little pockets to hang my scissors , tapes etc so I didnt leave them on the other side of the table!!!! I have a work belt that I wear at the moment which does prove a problem when sitting down, so I swivel it around to my back.

Hmm I wonder what those hairdressing saddle chairs cost off to goggle and see what I come up with

Comment

Found a link to some standard saddle chairs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sharon-Saddle-sal ... dZViewItem

Not a bad price really!

Comment

I used to have a kneeling chair when I worked in an office - they look weird but are very comfortable - and you can pull yourself around a bit like a dalek (!) Not sure if they're high enough for a worktable though.....

[urlnew:18ur3mff]http://www.plan-itinteriors.com/product_info.php?products_id=293[/urlnew:18ur3mff]
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

phil dont know lf this might help but make sure your waist is level with your sewing table when sitting in front of your machine its health safety in big sewing companys esther

Comment

2 yrs ago I bought a nice wheelie swivelly ergonomic office chair (coz I was getting back ache) and I love it - so easy to move from work table to machine to computer (I work in the middle of a U shape!) and easy to change the height for my 2 different tables. Unfortunately something's happened to it & the seat now wobbles all over the place - I feel seasick! Now I'm going to have to buy a new one
                    Jane

Comment

Hi everyone, just thought I'd put in my oar! I too have a wheely chair so I can whiz between machine and table, but would like to give you some warning! I frequently find that thread - and scraps of fabric, but mainly thread - get caught in the wheels and this can cause the wheels to jam and the chair to abruptly stop when you're in mid whiz! I've fallen forwards and hurt myself a few times when this has happened. I think it may be because I have a cheap chair but I'm sure it could happen with other wheels too.

Also, the man who installed my industrial machine advised me to be very careful as the section with the wheels could potentially slide under the foot pedal and jam the machine on which would of course cause the machine to sew through anything that happened to be in the way of the needle... This hasn't happened but watch out for the chair-induced nose dives!

Cheers
                      Sue

Comment

Hi All

Just reading this old post because I am considering buying a new chair for my workroom, as I too am starting to feel back pain. Has anyone used a draughtsmans chair? They look a cross between a normal office chair, and a bar stool!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Dont know whether I have done this link right, but the chairs are on Ebay for £47 - not a bad price to pay to be free of back pain!
                        Gail

Comment

Hi,
                          I would love a chair with wheels for the work table, but i wonder if anyone knows if you can get one suitable, my table is 92cms. At the moment I have a wooden stool which isnt very comfortable

Comment

I bought a new one at Staples only yesterday, as the old one was falling to bits. Haven't done any work sitting on it yet, but it's very comfy for doing thre crossword! They're in the Kittybrewster place, in Aberdeen, Helen, and have a good selection.

Comment

hi Nic,
                              thanks very much for that, I shall have a look.

Comment

Working...
                              X