Silver Overlocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Overlocker

I am thinking of buying a Silver overlocker model 720-D. It's a 4 thread overlocker with built in cutting facility. My local sewing machine shop is selling it at £199 reduced from £399 and they tell me it's a good basic but reliable machine. I don't do massive amounts of work that require an overlocker so I don't want to spend too much but do enough to make it worth having a basic one. Before I go shopping, does anyone know of any other good but reasonably priced entry level overlockers or have any experience of Silver machines?
    Jane

Re: Silver Overlocker

Having now done a bit more research on the interweb, I've found lots of other overlockers at a similar price and am now completely confuzzled . Could anyone with overlocker experience give me any tips on what I should look for in an overlocker? ie the must have, nice to have & don't need functions?
    Jane

Comment

Jane can I suggest you look around before buying, your local shop isn't offering you a great deal and have probably never sold the machine at full rrp. silver viscount You're right to look towards a 4 thread machine, I'm not sure you can get a domestic 5 thread, but if you can I would suggest you do.

Overlock machines can do several things, the main one being to stop fabrics from fraying, making them a must really and they cut the fabric as you sew also leaving very neat edges. They have different feet for roll hemming, pintuck stitching, and various other finishes. A 3 or 4 thread will not sew two pieces of fabric together securely and you will still need to use your locksticth.

My advice would be to go to your local sewing machine shop, try a few out and then go on-line to buy - try Cooper Sewing Machines and look for a sturdy machine that won't bounce all over the place when you use it, also take into consideration you will want to sew several thicknesses and you should ask the sales safe if the machine can cope with different fabrics of numerous thicknesses. Take some thick chenille fabric with you and ask them to run it through the machine double thickness.

A lot of these starter machines are very plastic and only capable of sewing thin fabrics - That is all the help I can offer on this one... Hope it helps, Jane!

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I've got a domestic that can handle thick fabrics and is 3,4 or 5 thread, but it's certainly not a cheap option. Brace yourself..

http://www.sewingmachinesdirect.co.uk/elna945_info.htm

It was a present to myself with my redundancy money, so I decided to splash out. It's mostly for the dressmaking side of my business, and it's not bad, for a domestic. It's heavy enough not to bounce across the table when sewing at high speeds, but it's not got the weight or power of an industrial. If all I was making was curtains I'd probably go for an industrial (if I had the space I'd have one now).

As Philip says, try them out on thick doubled up fabrics before parting with ANY cash. And if you DO find a machine you like don't just buy it from your local guy - look around on the internet (like the site above) as you may well find a better deal.

Comment

Thanks Bluebell - your comments about fabric thickness & weight of the machine are helpful. I only ever did dressmaking for myself & I don't have time for that anymore I now make curtains & blinds and most of the sewing is by hand apart from joining widths so I don't think I'd use an overlocker a great deal (so don't need an industrial) - mostly for finishing the inside of cushion covers etc which I currently do with a zig-zag on my sewing machine then trim off the excess with scissors but it doesn't look as neat as I would like. I have an overlock stitch on my s/machine but it's soooooo slow I hate using it so speed is something I guess I should look for. Think a trip to Coopers in Finchley might be worthwhile - they seem to have a wide choice in my price range.
          Jane

Comment

ive got mine from sewing machines direct toyota model, had it for about 5 years now no problems what so ever they sell in argos but i bought the same model from sewing machines direct (toyota have a helpline too and they help you over the phone if you have any questions

Comment

Working...
            X