Cutting table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting table

I need to design and make a cutting table and wondered if there was anyone with any ideas.
    I work in my bedroom which is quite big and I could get quite a big table in it but I would like it to fold up when not needed.
    I saw 12mm plywood that was 1220 by 2440 and thought if I cut it in 2 and hinged it but what height should I make it and how would I get it to that height as most legs and tables are around 70cm high.
    The plywood would catch on the fabric though so it would need to be smoothed or covered, any ideas on that?
    I already have a good sturdy kitchen table in my workroom that would hold a cutting table top but not high enough.

Any suggestions on design, size, height etc would be welcome. I don't have the funds to buy one so economy is crucial.

Julie B

Re: Cutting table

Hi Julie,
    How high your table should be depends on how tall you are and what height you find comfortable. Have a look at your kitchen worktops - stretch over and see if they are the right height for you. Maybe best to go a bit higher than lower - you can always trim the legs down!

You could make new legs for your current table, or Ikea sell legs that are adjustable and quite high. Or you could attach blocks to the existing legs to make it higher.

with regard to the size of the top, I think you need it 150cm wide for a fabric width and as long as you have room for, mine is 300cm, and only just long enough.

You can cover the top with interlining and calico. Search the forum for 'cutting table' for other ideas.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Julie, I have recently had a new much higher table which I bought a plywood sheet and covered with sarril interlining and lining, and I had a local chap make me some trestles, but that was quite expensive. However, before that in order to raise the height I bought some lengths of 4" x 6" wood and put three of those underneath the top, which worked quite well. The previous table was also on trestles but as I wanted a much wider and longer top I had to have new trestles.
      There is a previous thread about work tables and I think some people came up with ideas about hinging it, which you nmay be able to find
      Janie

Comment

There is some good info on covering work tables here worktables.

There is lots of info here in the Workroom section, like this Covering a worktable.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks everyone. I watched the video on covering a table and it was really good. Wish I had a space big enough for a real cutting table. My nephew is a joiner and he'd say yes to anything I asked but actually getting him to do it is another thing.
          I'm quite handy with a hammer and saw so will give it a try myself when the weather picks up. At least by then I might have worked out a design that works using the advice I got here.
          Julie B

Comment

Invite him to lunch, then change it to dinner when he arrives - that will give him time to build it for you
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

You are v clever Pen!

Good luck with your table.

If you want it in two sections for storing away, easier not to hinge BUT to be able to screw up tight when in use. Cover each half separately and use some of those things that they use to keep ends of dining tables together when fully extended. SO much easier to move about.

Comment

Thanks Jules, you have given me a great idea. I was wondering how I would cover the two pieces and hinge them because it would wrinkle the cover when folded up and wouldn't be ideal but if I was to cover them separately and use clamps to tighten them together when needed that should resolve that problem.
                Julie B

Comment

Working...
                X