Blind Hemmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind Hemmer

For anyone looking for a blind hemmer, this one has come up on eBay - It's an industrial machine and it's a bargain! Currently at £30.00 with one bid. The machine is in Blackburn, Lancashire.

See here for details and the auction
    MyDecozo Admin

Re: Blind Hemmer

Are blind hemmers actually a time saver if you are a sole trader rather than a production line? Also, do they work on all fabrics? I have wondered about getting one but do not have a lot of room.

Julie
    Julie

Comment

Most definately! I hemmed a 2.5 width curtain earlier in less than 2 minutes..

Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks for the demo, it does look good. I use the ordinary blind hemmer foot on my Pfaff, but sometimes the pressure of the foot on the fold of the fabric leaves a crease that can be difficult to remove. I wonder if I can find room in my workshop!!!

Julie
        Julie

Comment

someone did get a bargin- that ebay hemmer went for 32 quid. - shame blackburn is a little to far for me

I have been looking for a blind hemmer for some time. In another post the CM-500 was recommended for lack of space workrooms, which I have (lack of space) at the moment but could fit an industrial one and would prefer.
          The CM-500 seems to get badged under different company names, so I assume that the machine is still same under the different names?
          Pricing - a UK website had it for 139+VAT, here (Australia) it is $1100 which is more than 550 pounds. If it was the UK price I would be very tempted but I would rather put $1k+ for a 'full' industrial one

Comment

Julie - I was lucky enough to obtain a second hand portable (semi portable really - it's very heavy) Wimsew blind hemmer a while ago thanks to Penny @ Denton Drapes and would not be without it. It lives under my worktable on a tray. I just lift it on to the worktable when I have (standard cotton) linings to do and it whizzs through them.

I did try it on a double turned hem in blackout lining once & won't do that again - too thick at the joins. As others on the forum only seem to do single turned hems on blackout lining, I might try it on that and see how it goes.
            Jane

Comment

I bought one sometime ago....a semi portable but to be honest I've never really got the hang of it and it lives in a cupboard upstairs gathering dust! I am not a professional curtain maker and only make curtains etc for friends and family so I just dodge away with my normal sewing machine and hand sewing. I would be willing to sell it at a very reasonable price if anybody is interested. The only problem is I live in Scotland and have no idea of carriage costs as it is very heavy.

Best wishes
              Co
              Kind regards
              Colina

Comment

Bargain blind hemmer for sale if you're in the Lancashire area .. See here

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

can any one tell me if the above machine is any good, not sure if I have added the link properly
                  Kim
                  x

Comment

It looks very like the one I have which is badged as WIMSEW. I paid a little more than that to buy it from my local machine shop - I went and tried it, and also bought there knowing that they would support/service it.

It works fine and I have had no problems with it, although it does not get daily/heavy use.
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Like Louise, I also have one that looks very like this (and I paid twice as much for it!). I don't use it on all fabrics but it gives great results on cottons. Any other fabric I always test a bit to see how it looks and often end up hand sewing the hem. But on cottons and some other fabrics, it gives a much better look than I could achieve by hand.

Definitely worth that money!
                      Sue

Comment

Hi Kim,

I have a blind hemmer like that, that i brought from ebay for about the same money.

I dont really like it, sometimes its works ok, but next time i go to use it, i normally give up and end up stitching by hand. It takes longer to get it right for every job than handstitching. Even if it worked when i left it, it doesnt seem to again when i come back to it.

I think it would be ok if you used it more often and really got used to it but i dont seem to need it much and it just ends up making me mad!

Louiserose

Comment

I phoned the shop up and spoke to someone. They were very honest and said it is ok for occassional light weight use but wouldn't be much good for heavy curtains or heavy use. He has some real industrial ones that are second hand that I am going to try out at the weekend. Fingers crossed I find something I like. I understand I should look for one with a curved needle? Is there anything else I should look for ?
                          Kim
                          x

Comment

A few very important points to remember when using a blind hemmer - Use the correct thread, Guttermann Skala 240 is especially designed for machines with loopers and should be used on blind hemmers. Secondly, always check that the needle is uppermost right with the thread at the back of the needle and not in front. Always check the thread is free around the point of the needle. I have found that if I have issues sewing it's usually something to do the thread .. Another point, many fabrics sew better if you have the machine set to non skip.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

The main problem i find with mine is that the thread seems to get caught around the looper, it then causes the material to get caught up and i end up undoing all the hem to unattach it. i have to set the stitch to slip stitch if not the stitches are too close together.

Louiserose

Comment

Working...
                              X