Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting fabric

Hi
    I'm new to the forum and have just recently started making my own curtains. I don't have the space at home for a workroom and have to use the floor to measure and cut the fabric. I had surgery for slipped disc a couple of years ago and my back is killing me after an hour or so. Can anyone recommend a website where I could find a fold down table or something suitable for cutting out fabric

Re: Cutting fabric

Have you tried looking for a Table Tennis table perhaps? A colleague who makes loose covers uses a table tennis table.
    Yvonne

Comment

If you search for table in the Workroom area there are various posts about how other people have addressed this problem - there may be something there that helps you.

Workroom
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

A wall paper pasting table would be another possibility, and if you buy some clamps it can work quite well
        Janie
        PS I have terrible back problems despite making curtains on a proper work table for the last 27 years!

Comment

I have for a long time used a pair of simple (flat) hollow doors I got cheaply somewhere, joined in the middle with gaffer tape, and all covered with canvas. I put that on my dining room or kitchen table, and it fold in half for storage - means you can iron on it as well.
          Rosannagh

Comment

I read somewhere on the forum what I thought was a very clever idea when you need a larger worktable but also require it to be stored away when you need the dining table back!! It was basically, two 6 x 4 pieces of wood, perhaps mdf, pad and cover separately, then staple three bits of webbing to each side which will allow your worktop to fold in half. I also place a sheet of padded protector underneath to protect my table.
            Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Janie - would it be worth raising the height of your worktable a bit? Might help with the backache. I raised my worktable slightly and started going to Pilates every week. It's massively reduced the amount of backache I suffer from
              Jane

Comment

Hi Shirley

I have bought 2 Pieces of thick boarding and i just put it them on top of my kitchen block trolly

l bought 2 pieces on 6ft length and a 4ft size and use them as i need them

hope this helps

Marela

Comment

Thanks Jane - I have had a lovely new table installed in November. It is much higher and is 280 x 160 so its great. Whether it will help remains to be seen, but it can only be better. My last table was 120 x 210 which was all I could have in my previous workroom. I have just bought a top to make a desk area in the corner and a filing cabinet so I hope to become more efficient in the future. My lovely Mum has just bought me a laptop for my birthday so I have a computer all to myself although I haven't got it up and running as it looks rather scary and I am frightened of pressing the wrong button. The instructions are rubbish so I think I will have to get some help with that. It took me a while to work out how to open the lid , can you believe. I kept thinking that there must be a special button to press to open it and then discovered that I was trying to open it on the hinged side!! I know how stupid that sounds, but the makers label is upside down if the opening is facing me.
                  At the moment I am having to do the dreaded tax return which I hate more than anything else in the world. I don't mind paying the tax but I am so bad at keeping accounts so I have to sort out the whole year in one go, entirely my fault. Each year I promise not to do it like this and so I really hope that with my new desk area and having room to have everything in the same place that things will be different after this.................
                  Still I am having a nice girlie lunch here tommorow.
                  janie

Comment

Would the girlie lunch be in aid of anything speceal, young Janie?

Comment

You guessed right Jules!! Perhaps I should own up publicly, but then people don't always want to talk to old folks, do they?
                      Janie

Comment

Oooo, you bad girl! Spill the beans! I promise we'll give up our seats on the bus for you! But we'll still think of you as 21, just like we all are.....

Comment

Working...
                        X