Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What not to wear...!!!

Hey

Just wondering what you lot wear in your workrooms??!
    I need to look decent enough to take the kiddies to school then come back home and start working only to find I am covered in everything and then taking it into every other room in the house!!
    Do you get changed into special protective gear....!!
    Maybe it is just my messy way of working! Suggestions please!
    Natalie

Re: What not to wear...!!!

I go out to see clients a lot but I still wear the same clothes as I do in the workroom, ie. Jeans, Fleece, Jogging Bottoms, Fleece!!
    In the summer months, I dress appropriately for the weather, shorts etc.
    I never seem to look a mess when I come out of my workroom and go out! Perhaps I don't notice!
    I have started wearing a normal household apron when working with bump as I don't like it covering my fleeces!
    Yvonne

Comment

Originally posted by JGM
      Hey

Just wondering what you lot wear in your workrooms??!
      I need to look decent enough to take the kiddies to school then come back home and start working only to find I am covered in everything and then taking it into every other room in the house!!
      Do you get changed into special protective gear....!!
      Maybe it is just my messy way of working! Suggestions please!
      I know what you mean. Gone are the days when people went round their own homes wearing a full apron, or even a nylon overall, but perhaps this would be a solution for you? Nylon, though not seen to be attractive or "cool" these days, has the advantage of being able to shake stuff off. For myself, I prefer to just wear everyday clothes and assume people who see me covered in threads, bits of fur, fluff and sequins, realise I have been working. If they don't it is not a problem. In the winter you can just put on your outdoor coat for the school run?

Taking it into other rooms in the house is an occupational hazard, surely?

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

I think if ever there was a need for a tabard it seems now!!!
        Natalie

Comment

Ooh, the vexed question of workroom wear ... I must say that one of the things I really missed when I took the plunge and started my business ten years ago was that there wasn't a dress code for curtainmaking! I was right out of my comfort zone without a suit to put on in the morning.

However, my essential piece of workwear is my big Belgian linen apron - I stick thread, tape measure and pencils etc. in the pocket, spear my needle and a few pins into the bib, it keeps most of the interlining fluff off my clothes (I'm quite small and the apron is VERY BIG) and best of all - all my local friends know that I'm working (and not about to put the kettle on) if I'm wearing it when they arrive! The other thing I'd recommend is MBT trainers; I don't know about everyone else, but jogging round my huge table gets to my back after a while ...

And who else puts their full slap on to go into the workroom in their garden (well you never know when the hunky UPS guy is going to turn up with a roll of fabric!). I travel in hope.

Comment

Oooooh I love the idea of a big apron with lots of pockets!!! I will be on ebay soon......
            Natalie

Comment

Working...
            X