Advice please for covering my work table - cheap-as-chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please for covering my work table - cheap-as-chips

I am going to purchase an MDF base, and was intending on using bump and then lining over the top.

Is this the best idea? is there any other cheaper material one could use as padding? If i go ahead with the bump, how many layers would one need?

Thankyou xx

Re: Advice please for covering my work table - cheap-as-chips

Oooo, when I first started 12 years ago I asked my mother if she would let me have one her old woollen blankets.
    I used this with a layer of lining on top, adding another layer of lining regularly.

However, the table you use in my workroom is fitted with layers of bump, bonded interlining, topped off with a couple of layers of lining. It will have more layers of new lining as and when I manage to snip through it with the scissors or it gets dirty, whichever is sooner!!!! Hope that helps.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Thanks Penny. I was thinking about going into a charity shop and looking at their blankets, theres one in town that often has quite a few.

Hope today went really well btw, was going to text but i thought you would be up to your ears in coffee and cake

Comment

My table has a blanket under the lining!

Didn't have interlining then, probably had never used it at that point.

Kathy
        K W Designs
        Bournemouth

Comment

I use my table for cutting, hand & machine sewing and for pressing, so what I did was..... cover the MDF in a leatherette/vinyl, which is wipeable and a good surface for cutting, and I made a separate topper from lining fabric and interlining. I use those clamps for holding table cloths in place to hold the topper when I am pressing. I know It sounds a bit of a faff but as my table has to be versatile, I find having the two surfaces on one table works well for me.

Comment

Hi i find it helps to have 2 different surfaces on my table ,the majority of the table is just mdf with wait for it -----nothing on !!!!
            the top end of the table about 80 cms is covered in interlining and lining this is just used for pressing ,i have used it like this for years and never had a problem ,i find the fabric moves easily on just the mdf surface and dosent stick ,also it gives me lovely crisp right angles for roman blinds and stab stitching
            the table is measures approx 3.5 metres x 1.5 metres ,also we visited Premier Choice last year and hardly any of their tablesw were covered ,so i wouldnt worry too much
            happy sewing

Comment

Have to agree here, I prefer working on the uncovered MDF for most of the time, and have not had any problems with snagging, just folding over the fabric rather than pulling it as the board is only 3' x 4'. I have an old fitted sheet with two layers of blanket and a travelling rug, long ago wedding pressie, all wrapped up in it which I put on when I am pressing. Fits nicely with a clamp at the far end to hold it tight.

I guess its another case of what suits you and your situation.

Enid

PS I am here again instead of pressing those curtains !!!!!!!!

Comment

Our tables are covered with interlining then sheeting (only because of the width). I find it great for pressing, holding the fabric is place and also to pin into. We put another layer of sheeting on as it gets dirty.
                But yes, whatever works for you.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I have rather limited space so use a long dining table from Ikea, 270cm by 39cm approx.

Seats 10 people which seems ironic as I live on my own. This is covered in the usual stuff, blanket, interlining, lining. Also I bought some check oil cloth from Dunelm you know the sort of stuff they have on the tables in the seaside cafes.
                  Slung this over the top, wonderful for moving the fabric along as it just glides. As it is has a check pattern this is useful as a guide for straightening fabric.

To stop myself from sewing the material to the table when hand sewing I put a chopping board underneath and move it along as I go.

Oh...and yes we woz up to our eyes In coffee and cake yesterday thanks to the illustrious and exuberant Enid.

Happy Day's to all
                  Eileen.

Comment

I use oil cloth on top of mine too. Got a large white piece in a sale and it's great when cutting and pinning as it doesn't catch.

Cat
                    Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Mercury, I use the centre cardboard from lapped and folded lining instead of a chopping board as it's light and rigid, and it's handy if I'm doing a tiny amount of hand sewing at the ironing board, as it's a similar shape.

Angie

Comment

Hi
                        We use loads of boards in the class rooms, various sizes, although we have had the larger ones cut in half and I have stapled black and white webbing to form hinges across the two pieces this is really handy for folding and storing, for anyone using a spare bedroom as a workroom you will find these fit under the bed really well. Some are covered in interlining and curtain lining, some with wadding and lining and some with Calico over the top. I have no real preference and I am sure a blanket would also work well. I do like having some padding as I sometimes like to pin through the lining to hold things in place.

Best wishes
                        Susan

Comment

I use two layers of fleech and a layer of lining on my tables - Fleece because it stretches and you can get a tight fit.

Philip
                          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

My worktable is not covered as I prefer to work straight onto the MDF like Enid - sorry not much I help I know.
                            Yvonne

Comment

I have just ordered enough fleece for two layers for a very affordable price.

Thanks for the tip

Have just got to figure out how to get a very large piece of MDF up the stairs and into the room

Comment

Working...
                              X