Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whoop whoop!! I'm getting my own workroom ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoop whoop!! I'm getting my own workroom ;)

Have been making curtains professionally for two years, but haven't had my own workspace before! Have just taken a three bed house rental in the country and am going to adopt the biggest bedroom as my workroom. I have to measure the space to see how big my table can be, and have just ordered a new iron, however i wondered where people got things like wooden thread holders from? and other general workroom items that i probably won't even have thought of yet?

Ive had a quick scan and ive seen a 90 thread holder for £40!! Just wondered if there was cheaper around or even if some of you have made your own?

BTW im off on my hols in an hours time, yay , so if anyone is kind enough to reply and i seem to disappear, i shall be back! Probably with sunburn

Thankyou!
    Excited

Re: Whoop whoop!! I'm getting my own workroom

Lucky you, holidays and a sewing room. Have a look in www.easywoodprojects.com they have a thread holder that holds 182 spools and cost is $11.45
    Ursula

Comment

A thread rack is something I need - I think the $11.45 is for their instructions to make one......

Thought this looked a good idea (if you have the patience) large thread rack or this one if you don't mind using a drill simple thread rack

These seem to be one of those things that is much easier and cheaper to get in the States.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

silly me, sorry Enid that thread holder is smashing I'm going to get my hubby to make one for me.
        Ursula

Comment

What's wrong with a piece of wood and some good old 6" nails?

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Or buy one off ebay - search under "wooden thread rack". All the ones listed at the moment are from the US so postage is alot but occasionally you get a UK one on there. I have a 70 thread rack & it's great (I've added a little nail next to each dowel to hold the corresponding bobbin). The design works very well & could be made pretty easily by someone half able with a drill
            Jane

Comment

Buy yourself a large box of Ferrero Rochas chocolates and when you have finished them all, it makes a great thread container!
              Janie

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies

My holiday was absolutely perfect, no sunburn, but no tan either

I love the idea of just knocking some nails into wood. Why on earth i didn't think of that, i am not at all fussed about prettiness, i just want to get them out the way but still easy to see. Thanks Phillip x

I am now going to read this whole section as there are loads of things i need to get and think about before i move in.

Still v excited *slaps self to prevent getting carried away*

Thanks again

Comment

Congratulations on your new workroom!

I have found that thread on a wall rack gets too dusty in my workroom (and everything else!) so I keep small spools in a drawer in a cabinet and large spools in clear plastic bins.

Warmest Regards,
                  Susan
                  Susan Woodcock
                  Owner, HomeDecGal.com
                  Charlotte, NC
                  USA

Comment

Originally posted by Susan W Schurz

I have found that thread on a wall rack gets too dusty in my workroom (and everything else!) so I keep small spools in a drawer in a cabinet and large spools in clear plastic bins.

Warmest Regards,
                    Susan
                    I also keep my threads in large plastic bins..
                    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Mine are in an untidy jumble in a basket in a cupboard (the untidy bit tells you why they are in a cupboard). But I use ivory on the machine nearly all the time, so don't often have to get them out
                      Kind regards
                      Pen Harrison
                      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I keep mine in a drawer in a wheeled hairdresser type trolley It travels around the table with me with the iron attached to the top on which is also attached to an extention lead. I think I bought mine in Matalan for £9.99 and is classed as a bathroom drawer tidy.( on swivel wheels)

I have a system where there are 4 drawers , the top is used as a bin, to throw odd threads ends and trimmings, the second drawer holds tape measures, scissors, adjustable ruler, all the small essentials,staple gun, the third/fourth drawer is threads and bobbins in clear bobbin holders. I also have a tool belt with the essentials such as metal tape , pot of pins in click and go plastic container , sissors .That way everything is tidy and to hand!

Sad are'nt I lol

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]

Sad are'nt I lol
                          Ha ha, if you are sad then we are all sad

I like the idea of clear drawers, but i will need my threads to sit on something to give them order in the drawer, as im not very good at chaos (have to much of it everywhere else in my life )

I have a sparkly new iron i am quite excited about, and am going to get adjustable trestle legs from ikea. Just need to organise the big sheet of MDF, cover it and whack it on the legs, and i have myself a worktable!

Am going to the house tomorrow to start measuring up, though i don't love in proper till 2 weeks

Comment

Working...
                          X