Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring Windows

Hi

When going out on a measuring job I have a metal tape measure to meaure up. When the window is wide or long I have to ask the customer to hold the tape measure. Is there anything I can purchase so I can do it alone. Or do you guys have helpful tips for me.

Thanks

Re: Measuring Windows

If you log onto the merrick and day website you will find a very smart measuring tool. Make sure you take the time to calibrate it to your own work room tape 'just in case'.

Comment

Thats very good Rosie - but quite expensive!
      K W Designs
      Bournemouth

Comment

Yes it is expensive but I know it's effective. Maybe someone else produces/retails a more affordable one?

Comment

Using a steel tape that is 1" wide can be better, because it stays stiff so you can measure longer widths. We also have tape measures that have a prong in the end that hooks into a glider or screw eye for measuruing hook drops.

Alternatively, just ask the customer to hold one end
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi,

A pkt. of blue tack can be a handy thing to carry with you when measuring. You can sometimes use it to press the end of the tape at side or top of window.

Cat C.
            Kind regards

Cat

Comment

I've had one of these measuring sticks for about 18 months and wouldn't be without it! It's great for measuring up to ceilings, doing wide windows etc. It is expensive but, in my opinion, is worth it. When I bought mine, I did a bit of research and managed to find it cheaper than M&D were selling it, I got mine (a 5m one) from www.buybrandtools.com

Comment

http://www.buybrandtools.com/acatalog/M ... erial.html

This one looks good Sue. Or do you have the compact one? 10% off promotion at the moment.

Comment

Merrick & Day sent me one of their telescopic measuring poles in error. I thought about keeping it (and paying for it of course) but it was so heavy and cumbersome, I returned it. I'll be staying with blu tack & helpful customers.
                  Jane

Comment

I like the way we all tackle the same job in such different ways!

Pen
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Penny, I agree! The guy who does my blind/track/pole fitting for me has been doing it for 30 years and is amused by my measuring stick, he swears by his steel tape measure!

Rosie - yes that is the one I have. Mine came in a carrying bag with a shoulder strap so you can just sling it over your shoulder on visits. It's a bargain at that price!

Comment

Hi, bought an interesting battery operated measuring tape from B & Q and wondered if anyone else has used them. It seemed like a good idea at the time and I'm sure it could be useful in some situations when measuring horizontally but it sometimes bends when trying to holding it up vertically.

Cat
                        Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Look at the Tape Measure Holder DT10 from Rowley Co in America.You can buy on line andgreat co.to deal with.The Bosch
                          electronic measurer is also a reasonable price down here now,should be abit cheaper there.
                          Regards from David in sunny Perth

Comment

Working...
                          X