A must for any workroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A must for any workroom

I know I've mentioned this before, but my must have item is a gridboard or patchwork ruler.. I have 3 and couldn't be without them.. You can buy them from John Lewis or on ebay for the same money.. Ebay search is "patchwork ruler" Check before you buy as they come in both cm's and inches... I have a 6 x 24 inch, a 16cm x 16cm and a 16cm x 60cm. Great for spacing rod pockets and doing hems and side turnings... Trust me, you'll woder how you ever managed without one..

Philip

see picture...

[attachment=0:2a53zjdo]298732.jpg[/attachment:2a53zjdo]
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Re: A must for any workroom

I agree they're really useful; I bought one a few months ago and love it. However, for side and hem turnings I use thinnish cardboard cut to the appropriate size, e.g. 6cm, 7cm deep, etc., shaped like a bookmark on its side, and tuck it into the folded fabric and press over it with the edge of the fabric level with the top of the cardboard. When they get too floppy and shapeless from too much steam, it only takes a few seconds to make another one.

Comment

Good idea there Angie, never thought of making templates before... Another item to consider is an adjustable sewing gauge.. Again, J Lewis of ebay.. Great for marking out seam allowances..

Picture below...

[attachment=0:3025xhsx]4bc0_1.jpg[/attachment:3025xhsx]
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Yes I agree about those too. I bought a pack of 10 from the wholesalers, gave a couple to friends and have them dotted about my room so I can always put my hands on one. Having said that, I think I'm down to two now.

The point about templates is that once you've made one, the measuring's automatic and therefore very quick.

Comment

We were taught to make the gauges out of cardboard at school, for skirt hems, and so on. Haven't thought about them since, but am thinking now. I find a six inch ruler invaluable, too. Sadly, mine has Power Rangers on it.

Comment

I also use an adjustable sewing gauge an awful lot but I do like the pre-cut cardboard idea - will give that a go. Cheers
            Jane

Comment

Working...
            X