janome sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• janome sewing machine

My lovely Bernina died on me yesterday just when I was getting along well with my work!
    Anyway it has made me think about getting an industrial type machine. I notice that some of you seem very pleased with the janome 1600p and it looks good to me as it doesn't need its own table. However does it cope well with heavy weight fabric as my bernina which is domestic can't cope with pinch pleats in anything heavy. Also is it easy to sew slowly with it ?
    Janie

Re: janome sewing machine

Jane posted to say she'd looked at this and the Pfaff Grand Quilter and opted for the Pfaff. I think this was down to a considerable price difference between the two but I might be wrong.

Comment

I have a Janome 1600P which I have had for 5 years - I have found no problem with making pinch pleats on this machine and I do a lot of interlined curtains too. I have made pinch pleats on this machine which have used upholstery fabric and interlined - the bulk goes through very easily and there is a speed control on the actual machine so you can either be the tortoise or hare (the machine is marked with a tortoise and hare ...... ).

Good luck but all I can say if that I am very very happy with my machine.
      Yvonne

Comment

Rosie's right.....I did choose the Pfaff Grandquilter over the Janome 1600P - partly on price (Pfaff £150 cheaper) but also because I was able to test the Pfaff before I bought but I couldn't get a go on the Janome and wasn't prepared to spend that much on a machine I hadn't tried out. As far as I can tell from the pictures and literature, they are identical machines! The Pfaff went through through my sample (very thick fabric + interlining + buckram + lining - all doubled over to make a sample pinch pleat) like it was going through butter - which my little domestic Huskie couldn't do.

Hope that helps
        Jane

Comment

Hi all
          Another Janome question. I have a Janome Mystyle which has been a fantastic little machine and have made loads of things, even recently had problems with silk and interlining and purchased a walking foot which did the trick and glad I now have a new attachment.

My question is that I have a set of pinch pleats to make the fabric is quite thick and they are to be interlined and obviously have buckram at the heading area. Firstly probably a good question, is it better to use synthetic or natural interlining and what weight would anyone suggest, the fabric is probably on the lines of upholstery weight, I was thinking probably about 6oz interlining but not sure whether to go for synthetic or the natural cotton domette. Will my Janome be man enough to do these pleats????? Would it be a good idea to use a certain needle also???

I look forward to your comments and also at a later date help with working out the pleats and spaces as they are on a track and already very confused.

regards
          always smiley, smiley

Comment

Dear Smiley.
            Sometimes when fabric is as thick as you say yours is people don't bother to interline. However I like to, in the past I have used flannelette sheeting bought by the metre this material is nice and wide (108 inches).

It is a pity that it has become hard to get hold of these days as we do not have the mills like we used to. It is now imported from China I believe.

I would use a light weight interlining for your purpose Sarille (synthetic). Does not seem to stretch as much as natural interlining. Another consideration may be to match up the main fabrics composition such as is it man made, natural or a combination of both. To the interlining you choose.

As for the needle I always use a DENIM needle these can be bought in a pack of assorted sizes.

Eileen.

Comment

Hi again
              The interlining you suggest, do you know what weight it would be???? Merrick and Day do 160g and 180 g I am thinking maybe one of those??? They also do a 220g and a 250g but I feel that this would be very heavy

thanks for your help
              smiley

Comment

thanks for your comments everyone - I have taken the plunge and ordered the Janome, help! as bank balance v low at moment so I hope it speeds work up. Managed to get £100 off list price so felt I had to go for it! Man in shop said Janome make for most of the other companies so perhaps that is why the Pfaff is so similar. rather like diswashers, I have noticed that they all seem to be the same inside but just have a different makers label. Anyway am really looking forward to its arrival.
                Can anyone suggest the best size for a piping foot for it? Do you need different sizes according to the fabric thickness, I generally use the standard size cord. At moment am doing an upholstery course and have never used a piping foot before, just a zipper foot, but I now realise what a difference thay make and so much easier to use.
                Janie

Comment

Good Luck with your new machine Janie. I have still to make a decision, so look forward to hearing how you get on.

Sue.

Comment

My Pfaff Grand Quilter arrived on Thursday and so far I'm delighted with it - it's quick, quiet and very solid - although with the children still on holiday I haven't been able to really give it a good go. Love the screw on fabric guide, the needle threader and the thread cutter. The price included the (lovely big) extension table and the attachable walking foot. Just need to get myself a zipper foot now.
                    Jane

Comment

There is a very good man on eBay for feet. I'll try to remember his name and let you know.

Comment

It arrived on Friday morning, very impressed as I only odered it on Tuesday evening. Its like having a new car, so exciting (sad life that I lead). Haven't had much of a go on it as was painting spare bedroom as we are having friends to stay, but oo it is lovely. Like Jane am very impressed with thread cutter and needle threader, also that you don't have to stop sewing to thread bobbin and I also like taht you can choose whether to have the needle 'in or out' of the fabric when you stop sewing. Am almost looking forward to doing some work? Would love to know the name of your 'foot ' man if you remember - does anyone know of a good place to buy machine needles?
                        Janie

Comment

Ebay is a good place for needles too if you look for a brand like Schmetz or Organ. Otherwise I try to bundle them in when I buy something else like thread to maximise the postage - I use Empress Mills. http://www.empressmills.co.uk/index.html
                          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Janine / Hi Jane

Am I right in thinking that Janine: you have purchased a Janome 1600P and Jane: you have purchased a Pfaff Grand Quilter? Sorry have got a bit confused with this topic with who has what new machine.
                            Yvonne

Comment

Hi Yvonne
                              I'm Janie and I've bought the Janome and Jane has bought the Pfaff- very confusing for you all!

Comment

Working...
                              X