Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New worktable -advice needed!

Would be very grateful for any tips/ advice on a new worktable

My current one is 6' x 4' and I would like a longer and wider board approx 150 cm wide and with a drop down flap to make it longer. At present it is supported by two trestles and is a chipboard top which is covered, plus a shelf underneath

I need it to be higher to help my poor old back- I am 5'7" and the top is 88 cm high ( I'm really sorry about the metric /imperial measurements but I' m sure you folks that are over 21 will understand). Can anyone suggest what would be a good height?

Also what would be the easiest way to constuct the new table. I haven't anyone in mind to do it, husband definatly unsuitable, but hopefully can find local person. I imagine that legs would be better than trestles, but all thoughts and comments would be gratefully received.
    Hope Friday 13th is going well for you all
    Thanks
    janie

Re: New worktable -advice needed!

There is quite a lot of info in the Workroom section already - if you search for the word table and use the Advanced Search option, you can limit the search to the Workroom are only. Lots of useful tips and practical solutions......
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi there Janie,
      I got a joiner in one of the local villages to build me a work table about eight years ago,(hubby hates d.i.y). It is the best piece of "equipment "that i have for the business.
      It is 92 cms high, 150 wide by 3 mts long, One large shelf underneath, and padded out with a thick blanket on the top, then calico stretched tightly over the top and stapled, Remnant Kings sell 160 wide calico which is perfect for the job. the table is so solid that it cant be moved,but needs about 4 heavy people to shift it!!! The joiner made it in his work-shop then assembled it in my work room, I think it is made of "red wood" with a mdf top, price somewhere around 250 pounds, but nowadays I suppose, it would be considerably more. Even when I don't need it anymore for my business, I can imagine it in a big farm house kitchen as a work station, so all in all, a great investment. Hope that this helps...Kind regards, Helen

Comment

I have a large piece of MDF which sits on two tables. A matching MDF top has 3 x 6" square beams of wood screwed width ways under it, one in the centre and two about 50cm from each end. This gives the top support, but also storage between the two layers. It means that it can be dissassembled relatively easily. I have extended the end by adding a flap of MDF on hinges which is supported by sandwiching a box between the hinged MDF and the table (I slide the whole lot along the tables until one end of the table is exposed). The only thing I could do with is making it wider and I think I will have to add a hinged section down the length of the table. All the space between the two sections is great for putting stuff onto when you are sewing. I then have interling and lining velcroed all the way round. I don't know the exact measurement of mine but it is quite high so that I don.t have to stoop at all.

Julie
        Julie

Comment

I am in the process of getting the materials together to make a table (this will be my first one). Yep, I am going to attempt to do it myself with a bit of help from the hubbie

After much searching the concensus on height seems to be for you to stand up, bend your arm up 90degrees and measure floor to elbow, (this is where opinions differ) then either take this measurement or a couple of inches lower. You want it low enough so you can reach the middle of the table, but tall enough to avoid the back probs you are currently suffering

I have a small room but am making it as large as I can (153cm wide and 209cm long) - it will have castor wheels on so hopefully I will be able to move it slightly (if it does not weigh too much with all the fabric on). It will have fold up extensions on one side and at one end (making it 200cm wide and 240cm long).

Comment

Maybe err on the side of high than low - you can always cut a bit off!

My table is 92cm, not quite as high as my elbow and I find it very comfortable - I'm 5' 8".

On track, make sure the castors are good, strong ones - I first got some from my local diy shop and they broke. I got the next set from ScrewFix online, and they are much better.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I'm 5'4" and my ideal worktable height would be 90cm/3ft (unfortunately my table is currently too low - another little job for hubby to help me fix). I've just checked my kitchen and the worksurface is the same height and they're perfect for me. Might be an idea to check your kitchen worksurfaces and work it out from there
              Jane

Comment

Working...
              X