Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewing machine

Morning all,
    I may regret this but......having coffee as my old toyota has jammed again and I have got granny singer out, and I am toying, only toying mind you, with spending £50.00 to have to looked at again OR buying myself a new machine.

I have read the post ages ago about what to look for in a machine, have NO intention of doing dressmaking or embroidery, really don't want to go down the industrial pathway as my workroom is upstairs and they scare me to death anyway, and I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds.....well I really don't know. I have looked online, but as usual there are thousands of choices, and I have not gone to the local shop either....I am a tad busy just now.

I just wondered what your suggestions might be as some of you have domestic machines which clearly can cope with the type of work we do.

Now back to work.

Enid

Re: sewing machine

I have a Husqvarna Viking Freesia 425 which I think has been updated/replaced. Bought it 8 years ago for about £399 & have used it daily for work for the past 3.5 years and it's still going strong. Had it serviced for the first time last year & just needed a new plate. The reason I chose it was it has all the basic stitches, plus overlock, blind hem, etc & a few basic embroidery. The push button controls, digital display & fixed reverse make it very easy to use (and you can buy a walking foot for it too). It struggled for the first time last week - a pair of double pleated curtains - but the fabric was FR treated & very thick & interlined so I think anything other than an industrial would have struggled. Got it at Sewmaster in Reading. Very helpful, as are the people at Sew Devine at Cemetry Junction. Definately worth a trip to both if you can spare the time. Hope that's useful.
    Jane

Comment

Enid if you only want a basic machine, have a look around on ebay.. I've just had a look and they have many metal machines, the good sturdy old fashioned type.

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Schubby,
        am sitting here laughing happily.

I know that you meant well and your advice is always excellent but .....am I a good old fashioned sturdy type??? Sorry, but that just appeals to my sense of humour as it is JUST how I am feeling today to a T. Love it

Enid

Comment

Hi Enid

I'm laughing too now (having met you of course!)

I am a Janome girl - my first sewing machine that my husband bought me 12 years ago was a Toyota and cost around £200 - I had no end of problems with it and eventually the man in my local sewing machine shop said he had no idea what was wrong with it, he had stripped it down so many times and put back together and it worked ok for a bit and then packed in again - it just would not sew properly. So I traded it in during 2001 for a domestic Janome - MyStyle22 which is a good all round machine (think there is a newer model now) - this machine would happily do interlined triple pleats without any problem. Once I started the business though I invested in a semi industrial straight stitch only Janome 1600P it cost me £495 and it is a work horse. Have had it serviced once in 5 years and is the best thing I have ever bought. I would love a 6600P which is all singing all dancing but out of my price league at the moment. I do also have a Janome Mylock overlocker.

Hope you are well.

Yvonne
          Yvonne

Comment

Dear Enid,
            I have 3 wonderful Pfaff's They are all basic models with an even feed foot that is brilliant. I have had the origional for 6 years and made countless loose covers and interlined triple pleat curtain tops. I would never use anything else again.
            Good Luck
            Julie
            Julie

Comment

Enid, Applemoon suggested a Pfaff the other day a pink one, which she linked to another site, as I am also considering a new machine and overlocker.

Sue.

Comment

OOOOH sewing machines!!
                I'm a recent member and a big fan of Pfaff also. I teach Adult Ed classes and always recommend Pfaffs to my students when they are looking for a new machine. I bought a top of the range one 13 years ago - does embroidery, washes the dishes, etc - but I rarely use these functions now. I recommend getting a computerised one though as they sew everything so easily, they go through interlined triple pleats like butter. I use the integral dual feed control all the time - ideal for pattern matching and sewing velvets and cheniles. I also use it combined with the zipper foot for sewing piping, rather than a piping foot, as it prevents any movement of the layers. There are also up to eight needle positions to the right and left of centre, so when sewing piping you can move the needle closer to the piping in increments after each stage.
                I used to have my machine serviced every three years (recommended) but after the recent service was told I ought to have it done once a year as I use it on a commercial basis. You can't open up computerised machines to clean them and apparently mine was all chocked up above the needle with fluff from the interlinings. Still it's running like a dream again now.
                My mum bought a top of the range Pfaff 48 years ago, a shiney grey solid metal one, and I've recently had an industrial motor put on it and had it put onto a flat bed table. It's brilliant for sewing up linings and interlinings, but without the dual feed not so good on patterns. It's been given a new lease of life though!

Just another thing......how does anyone get any work done once they log into this forum? I find it soooo addictive I dare'nt log on during the day, so I'm usually up to the early hours reading all the professional hints and tips. Some really good ideas to pass onto my students, thanks everyone.

Comment

Do you think my decozo should come with a health warning then
                  Didn't anyone warn you when you introduced yourself

. .

Comment

Good idea Rosie!
                    How about 'This forum may cause drowsiness, please be aware when operating machinery' (or cutting fabric, or matching patterns, or calculating fabric requirements).
                    Early night tonight, me thinks.
                    Debbie

Comment

Awww Debbie,

You've been here far too short a time to be dipping out early on a Sunday night! lol. But I do agree....it is tiring keeping track of all the decozo 'goings on'.

Comment

Working...
                      X