Blind hemming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind hemming

When using a blind hemmer what is the best way to 'lock' the start and end of the hem so it doesn't unravel????
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Blind hemming

Hi Louise

Have you purchased a blind hemmer? You kept that quiet.. There's a nice blind hemmer for sale on ebay for anyone living near Leicester - It's a bargain at £25.00. Industrial blind hemmer

I pull extra thread out at the end and pass it through the lase loop and that holds the thread.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Yes, literally just bought one - out of the box at 1.30pm and had a go with it. Lovely. I should be getting some eyelet curtains to shorten later so they will be my first project.

Not a true industrial one, but a solid, heavy semi-industrial from my local sewing machine shop.....I need something I can put away when not in use.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Louise
        do u mind me asking what make you went for?

Comment

Just a Wimsew as stocked by my local independent shop. I went in for a demo and asked lots of questions before buying, it is pretty heavy (metal body) and sturdy but sits on my table top (not mounted to its own table like an industrial one). I have had a go at threading it myself and it seems to work fine......have tried some scrap fabrics (faux silk, cotton and heavier woven one) and they all worked fine.

The curtains I was waiting to be dropped of for shortening are here so I am going to re-hem them tomorrow and see how I get on.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Louise

Does your wimsew have any speed control? I tried one (I think Alansew was the name) but certainly the same type, semi-industrial, but the foot control was either fast or stop, I'm still a novice and cannot sew fast, need to take my time, but would be interested in one of these. Maybe I was just unlucky and tried a 'duff' one.

JE

Comment

It doesn't have a separate speed control - and it does go pretty fast. I experimented yesterday and found that with a bit of concentration, and if I rested my heel on the floor so only my toes exerted the pressure I could go at a more reasonable speed.
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Louise

That's more or less what I found - I did not have any real control on the peddle, I'm not a proficient machinist so perhaps I had better wait a while, problem is I hate hand stitching and it takes so long, and I have a house of curtains to do.

Will you use your hemmer for just the hems or can the lining be attached using it.

JE

Comment

It just hems....

I think you need a different machine to attach linings - check this post http://www.my.decozo.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1289
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Good Luck with your new machine I think it will be some time before I could manage one.

Comment

Can anyone answer Louise's original question.......how to lock the start & end so it doesn't all unravel? Have just bought a 2nd hand Wimsew portable blind hemmer and am trying to figure out the exact same thing!
                      Jane

Comment

I pull the last loop through and that secures the thread..

Hope this helps!

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

when you have finished sewing pull very gently on the thread and the next stitch will create a loop then thread your long loose end through the loop and pull this will secure it ,there is no need to secure the beginning of your sewing as this locks automatically

Comment

Side turns vs Blind hemming

You can use a blind hemmer for sewing in the linings, but this mean a false mitre. Will try and put some pics up at some point.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Those pics would be interesting Phillip - I've just pinned my lining and will hand sew tomorrow, which I am very pleased with as I only started these curtain in November!!!!!!

The spirit is very willing but the fingers don't seem to work.

JE (Novice)

Comment

Working...
                              X