Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new sewing machine recommendations please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new sewing machine recommendations please!

Hi I need to buy a new sewing machine and probably an overlocker. I am currently using a 25 year old Brother dressmaking machine and it is struggling to cope with the fabrics I use when making curtain cushions etc. I have spent hours searching the internet, but struggling to make a decision. I need a sturdy machine that will cope with several layers of fabric at a time for piping cushions etc and curtains with headers and lining etc. I've also never had an overlocker and I think certainly for cushions it would give a much more professional finish. So I would appreciate opinions on both. Many Thanks

I have a Brother overlocker - 1034DAV which I think other members have too. I use it for neatening edges on cushions , contrast borders etc. and it works well. I use a Pfaff 7550 for sewing...it is old but I like it because it is metal and heavy/solid, manages most things I throw at it and love the built in dual feed.

Unless you want to consider an industrial, then I think people like the Janome 1600PQC....
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I've had a Janome 1600 for a year now and I'm very pleased with it. It copes well with heavy fabrics and making heading pleats through layers of fabric and buckram. Because you can vary the foot pressure it is also good on sheer fabrics.

My overlocker is a beautiful old industrial machine bought from a lady locally who had been in the garment industry all her working life and wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it- I do!

Hope you find something that suits you.

Best wishes
      Liz

Comment

Thanks for your comments, I have been told to look at the Juki DX5, Brother 1300 or 1800 and the Janome 8200, the sewing shop near me do industrial machines as well, but the gentleman said I would be better with one of the above as they are very well made and can easily manage curtain fabrics etc. Does anyone have any experience of these machines? I don’t want to make the wrong choice!

Comment

I have a Juki DDL8700, lockstitch, it copes well with everything I've used it for especially thick multi layers when sewing in pleats. I have two needle plates with a smaller & a larger needle hole but rarely swap them over. I have a Singer overlocker - its a love, hate relationship.
          KarenS

Comment

I'm sure you've thought of it....but take some samples of fabric/buckram/interlining etc. to mock up the kind of thing you'll want to stitch to try on the machines......
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

The other big part in the decision is space. A domestic can be put on any table, moved aside when a domestic overlock is needed. Industrial machines come on their own tables and take-up much more space. Personally, if you're planning to do curtains full time and have the space then industrial is the way to go. Your local dealer may be able to access good secondhand ones. My overlock was a full serviced and short guarantee secondhand one at a fraction the price of a new one.
              John Quine
              Brooke Design
              Fylde Coast

Comment

I have the Janome 1600 too and think it's a good compromise if you don't have room for an industrial. Copes well with most things. Heavy but can be lifted on and off the table when needed. It doesn't have dual feed but I have a special foot I use unless I'm using piping or zipper feet which does a similar job. You can get generic feet to fit it online which are cheaper than Janome ones. It's straight stitch only by the way.

Comment

Another vote for the Janome 1600. So far, it's coped beautifully with everything I've thrown at it from voiles to heavy velvet. And like Diana, I like the fact that it's (sort of) portable. I've got a domestic Toyota overlocker which I either love or loathe, depending on whether the thread decides to break or not.
                  CatherineL
                  Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Comment

Working...
                  X