Good make of pinking shears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good make of pinking shears?

Can you recommend a good make of pinking shears? Bearing in mind I'm an enthusiastic amateur, just making curtains for my own house, so they won't need to stand up to years of hard use - but I would like a good, sharp, reliable pair which aren't too heavy.

I'd be very grateful for any tips

Re: Good make of pinking shears?

Mundial - love mine!

Comment

Mine are Sewing Devil and are fine.......they don't have cushioned handles though which I will look for if I ever have to replace them.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I know what you mean Louise. I now put my plasters on BEFORE I begin!

Comment

Thanks! Are Fiskars any good?

Comment

Yep, good make!

Comment

I can't get on with the wretched things for any money, my hand starts to cramp after a few inches. I use an old pair for cutting Christmas cards into labels, and have an unused pair that I really ought to learn to use.(Like the walking foot, how did I live without it) Any tips? Plasters where? Prevent agony between thumb and hand how?

Comment

Oh Nic, I can't imagine you getting cramp in your hands! You must have hands of iron to have knocked out my beautiful 'lemon stitch' mauve socks in super quick time. They are just beautiful, thank you.

Before I had my little overlocker, I used my pinkers rather a lot when dress making. I suppose you just get used to them. I did think a glove might be an idea to make them kinder on the hand?

Comment

I find them very hard going, too, nic

Many thanks to you all for your very useful comments! I couldn't find the Mundial or Sewing Devil ones online with cushioned handles, so I've ordered a pair of Fiskars Softgrip ones. Fingers crossed

Now to find a decent, robust, accurately printed yardstick. The one I bought yesterday was a stinker - bendy (!), badly printed, and with the inch scale an eighth of an inch out, so that you didn't have a hope of checking what a given length was in inches as well as centimetres

Comment

If your budget will stretch to it I can recommend the steel ruler from M&D Measuring equipment. Metric and imperial and 150cm long so more than a fabric width. Invaluable used with a square edge to get fabric widths cut into drops accurately.
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have my heart set on a wooden one - a really old-fashioned type, with a lovely patina.... mmmmm Saw one in a car boot sale on Sunday and should have bought it, really, but didn't have my attention on sewing kit at the time!

Comment

hi there.
                        i got a very good 1 mt metal ruler from B and Q. It was a while ago, but I guess that they still keep them.
                        regards Helen

Comment

Me too Helen May,

Very good value! Gives the same readings as my tape measures too which is good news!

Comment

JMM Marketing have a wooden yardstick for £4. If it's still the same one that I got from them years ago, it's a thing of beauty and usefulness.

Comment

Not come across them before Nic - good range of threads and needles as well as lots of other crafty stuff. For anyone interested there is an online catalogue and thread shade card here JMM Marketing.
                              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                              X