scissors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scissors

I need to get a new pair of scissors soon - Does anyone have a pair that they highly recommend ?
    K W Designs
    Bournemouth

Re: scissors

Hi Kathy - - I personally prefer Mundial scissors for the workroom but they are frighteningly expensive. In a post I made, in this section, a couple of of weeks ago about the Bits and Bats web site I recommended that people have a look at the site because it was so cheap. If you take a look there you will find Janome scissors 10inch and 12inch for about a tenner. Janome scissors do not carry the high quality finish that Mundial do but they are dam good shears and at that price You will find them very hard to beat. I have them in my workroom and I find the shears exellent value and good quality.

Comment

I've recently bought a pair of the Janome Scissors as I can't find anyone to sharpen my old faithfuls. The Janome ones have a serrated bottom blade and appear to be good value for the money.

Comment

I use Fiskars straight cutting scissors. I like the spring action and there is no round handle to create sore patches or blisters on your thumb, but they are not so good for cutting anything other than straight cuts, useless for intricate work and dressmaking. I know people who don't like them but I am so used to them and if you are doing huge amounts of cutting, which I did in the past, they are ideal. I actually have three pairs, but only one that I seem to use all the time.

Jules, have you looked locally? We have a toolhire firm that send the scissors away for sharpening.

Enid

Comment

My favorite, if blunt, scissors are Fiskars! I love them. Perfect handle shape. I have cut miles and miles with them, hence blunting them! That's a good idea about a tool hire place, Enid. I'll pop by the next time i'm in town. We used to have a lovely ironmongers in town, with a very old man who could sharpen anything to perfection. Given way to a Partners Stationary shop!

Comment

Yes, miles and miles and miles.

Where I used to work, we did all the curtains for all the Little Chefs up and down the country. I did all the cutting so the Fiskars were an absolute godsend. Now I cannot use the normal scissors for longer than a short time. They only thing I ever found was that the spring in the handle used to break. Have a very precious bag of spare springs.

Enid

Comment

Jules - bring your scissors with you next week - I'll sharpen them for you and teach you how to do the job yourself.

Enid - I have a pair of those friskars spring loaded scissors too I think they are great. I tend to use my large shears for cutting out all my fabric on the bench but will happily pick up the friscars for most other work.

Comment

Thanks everyone I use Fiskars myself and they are comfortable to use but do go blunt - how often should you sharpen scissors in this profession?
                K W Designs
                Bournemouth

Comment

When they are blunt Kathy

Comment

Doh!!!! ask a silly question!!! I know
                    K W Designs
                    Bournemouth

Comment

Working...