Alternative to plastic wrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to plastic wrap?

Has anyone found an alternative for plastic tube wrap for wrapping completed curtains and blinds? I use as little as possible and always encourage customers to return or re-use but would be interested if anyone has discovered a recycled/compostable/recyclable alternative?
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

I'd be very interested to know if there are alternatives. I do reuse my poly tubing several times, but I'm conscious it's still going to end up in landfill.
    It would be lovely to have fabric bags but they'd have to be waterproof to protect my curtains and blinds from the Scottish rain!
    CatherineL
    Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Comment

I agree Catherine- I reuse my own poly tubing and the stuff that comes on rolls of fabric delivered to me, if it isn't too dirty! When i first started my business I did consider brown paper for wrapping, but it only seems to be sold in the most enormous rolls which would be impossible to handle and work does need to be protected from the rain when loading it into the car. Cornish rain is every bit as wet as Scottish rain, just a bit warmer!

Comment

Hallis Hudson sell poly tube but only when it is on offer which can be a big saving
        Melcurtains

Comment

I think I've heard of people making big bags with zips out of waterproof fabric - but they only work if you do your own deliveries and hanging so can take them away again.

Comment

I subscribe to House & Garden and received their latest edition in a compostable wrapper. Wonder where they source it from? If it's tough enough to survive the mail system, maybe something similar would work for curtains and blinds.
            CatherineL
            Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Comment

Yes, the National Trust and English Heritage magazines come in compostable plastic wrap too. I suppose it depends how big they can make it- magazines are rather smaller than your average curtains!

Comment

I have also been wondering what to do going forward. I like the idea of bags or wrapping made out of waterproof fabric, perhaps with velcro fixings so that the size can be adjusted without making it into an actual bag.
                KarenS

Comment

Comment

Oh, that's interesting......fingers crossed we might be able to buy something similar soon
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have also been wondering what to do. I don't tend to re-use the plastic very much other than to make some of it into ties for dressing the curtains. I really like the idea of the adjustable bags, even if you couldn't use them for every job it would be a good start.
                      Kind Regards
                      Christine

Comment

Streets are offering recyclable polythene tubing in a range of sizes- it's their monthly special offer for August.
                        Best wishes
                        Liz

Comment

Thanks Liz
                          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                          X