What staples...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What staples...?

I'm using 4mm plywood for my pelmets and an Easy Fire staple gun from M&D with 6mm staples also from M&D

About 1 in 10 of the staples are going into the wood through 2 layers interlining & 1 layer fabric but the rest are not - I have wasted sooooooo many.

Can't work out of they're too fat, not sharp enough or not long enough but I'm worried about using longer ones in case they're too long and come through the other side! I've resorted to finishing them off with a hammer which is not idea!

Help!
    Jane

Re: What staples...?

Hi Jane,

I usually buy the rapesco(sp?) 6mm staples as that the staple gun I have. They are thinner ones. When stapling I add more pressure on the front of the stapler , place the pelmet on a flat surface, that way theres no "bounce" That might help a bit ???

Ooo how annoying when all you want to do is finish the job! Could you give M&D a call and ask them for thinner ones that fit your gun??

Comment

Hello Jane,

I think the fat staples are called 'flat' staples and the thin ones are called 'wire' staples. Some staplers do take both types but some can only take one or the other. Speak to the supplier of yours to see whether it will take wire staples as well as flat ones. It may be you need to buy a stapler for wire staples. Rapesco are usually on sale in the DIYs.

Comment

Jane,
        I don't think you can put a 6mm staple into 4mm plywood. The staple will flatten the fabrics and go flush against the wood, so will stick out, and if you dont put enough pressure on, the staple wont stay in.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

There's no problem with the 6mm staples being too long - most of them are barely going into the wood at all. I've ordered some 8mm & some 10mm - hopefully that'll solve the problem. If not, it'll be the hot glue gun.
          Jane

Comment

Working...
          X