Steam generator iron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam generator iron

Before I started work work on my new blinds and curtains, I descaled and thoroughly rinsed my old Morphy Richards iron, and when I used it, it spat gunk and brown water on the piece of linen I was ironing, and died.

I already had a Dupray steam cleaner and the replacement iron is an attachment for that, so now I have a steam generator iron for £59.99 plus p&p. The steam cleaner is brilliant on everything I've used it for, especially the oven. The steam is adjustable and at max it's like being in a sauna, so I didn't have any doubt about buying the iron attachment for it.

The iron has its own hose to connect to the tank and the usual thermostat and indicator light on the iron. I especially like the steam vents clustered at the toe of the sole plate as my main use for it is in making my own clothes, including tailored garments, and I can steam e.g. a sleeve head without steaming the rest of the garment. It's heavy, noticeably heavier than the Tefal steam generator iron one of my neighbours has, but not too heavy for me and I'm disabled with spinal problems. It has two buttons for steam, hold it down for a burst, or a continuous stream. The control for steam volume is on the steamer's own hose but the iron's hose doesn't have that, it's sauna level or nothing.

Dupray also make dedicated steam generator irons and if they're as good as the attachment for my steamer, they're really good. It hasn't dripped on my curtain fabrics so far. The three models they have on their website are marked 'out of stock' at the moment, they were all in stock when I was deciding on the iron attachment.

Duprays are expensive, but cheaper at Amazon, which is where I bought mine. I remember the owner of a guesthouse I stayed at in Lucerne a few years ago, had one of their steamers and she said it was a professional product, bought from her trade supplier, which is probably why I've never seen the brand reviewed.

The steamer has proved itself a really good buy, and the iron has impressed me so far which is good news; I wasn't looking forward to having to pay for a steam generator iron just now.

Meridien

Re: Steam generator iron

Thanks for sharing the info Meridien, sounds a great product. I cringed when I read your opener as I dread something like that happening. I always use an ironing cloth. I don't often steam curtains but its always good to have a recommendation.
    KarenS

Comment

Re: Steam generator iron

Sorry, I should have said that piece of linen was a leftover from a previous project. That's one reason I keep the bigger bits of leftovers, to check on the iron.

I use silk organza for pressing cloths for my clothes; the friend who taught me tailoring techniques has her own business and nothing else is used for pressing in her workshop. I was surprised that something so flimsy works so well for pretty much everything.

Meridien
      Last edited by Meridien; 24th November 2017, 17:35. Reason: Typo.

Comment

Working...
      X