Which steamer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which steamer?

I am in need of a steamer to get the creases out of the curtains I make, try as I might I cannot make a set of curtains without creasing them. Hauling several widths of fabric through the sewing machine and across the work table always manages to crease the fabric to some degree. I cannot afford to invest in a Propress steamer so wondered if anyone could recommend a similar spec machine for a fraction of the price. I have seen Morplan ones and an S-line one but if anyone has any other suggestions that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Re: Which steamer?

I use a steam generator iron and wouldn't be without it. It is so much better than an ordinary steam iron. Mine is a Tefal but there are lots on the market. I keep it on a little trolley to wheel it around the table.

Comment

Originally posted by janie View Post
      I use a steam generator iron and wouldn't be without it. It is so much better than an ordinary steam iron. Mine is a Tefal but there are lots on the market. I keep it on a little trolley to wheel it around the table.
      Thanks for that, do you also use that when the curtains are hung?

Comment

I know you said you do not want to invest in a pro press steamer, but keep an eye out on ebay. I got mine from there a couple of years ago - about a third of the retail price & worth every penny

Comment

I have only used the steam generator in the workroom so far although you can use mine vertically. I have some crease away spray that I occasionally use. Most of my curtains are interlined and there isn't usually a problem on site.

Comment

I have a Propress, but usually find that once the curtains have been dressed and hung in the workroom for a few days I very rarely need to use it. The creases usually fall out quite a bit when you are smoothing and dressing the folds. My Propress was indeed an e-Bay find .... I had tried a cheap Chinese steamer (albeit from a reputable supplier) before that and found that it fused all the lights in the workroom, so didn't want to chance taking it out on site!

The crease away spray is also good on Romans; however when my first bottle ran out I filled it with ordinary water and found that lightly spraying it onto hanging work was just effective!

Comment

I got a Propress off ebay (cost me £100) and on the few occasions I've needed it it's been invaluable. I don't use it much - just for awkward curtains. I lent it to a friend for her curtains and she did the whole house - very addictive!!
              Jacqui
              Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

Thank you all for your help, I will have another look on ebay.

Comment

I have just bought a Tefal instant steamer from Argos (which currently has £30 off making it £69.99) Jonathan recommended - so I thought we would give it a try as I have a pair of VA curtains who are particularly attached to their creases! I do have a propress but DOH took it apart some time ago to 'fix' it .......it's still in bits! Will report back on its ability ��
                  Melanie

Kind regards

The Curtain Room

Comment

Has anyone bought a hand held steamer? i.e. Morplan? Love to hear what you think of it. What did you get in the end gecko? How is the Tefal instant steamer Mel? Anyone else got anything other than Propress? Thanks in advance.
                    KarenS

Comment

Interested as well Karen, need some ideas on what to get.
                      Kind Regards
                      Julie Monty

Comment

I have had the Morplan Vitesse for a few years and it is a really good steamer. I don't use it very often but my only gripe is that I cannot get an extension for the steam tube bit. So if I do need to use it on quite high curtains I have to hold it on the ladder with one hand and steam with the other! I am going to ask my lovely brother if he can adapt a lightweight trolley to sit it on, another little job for him ��
                        Marian
                        Interiors, Made by Marian

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Marian. Still undecided Julie but will report back...
                          KarenS

Comment

I bought a garment steamer a few years ago - this one: http://www.displaysense.co.uk/bestst...c-steamer.html
                            as I had a bad experience when I borrowed my fitter's ancient propress as it spat and dribbled all over the curtains and the customer's carpet! I've had to use it a couple of times and it does the job, as Marian said though, the hose on this one isn't very long either so I need to put it on a step ladder to reach the top of some curtains. But still worth the money I think! Incidentally, my fitter had his prehistoric propress stolen last year and he ended up buying one the same as mine.

Comment

Working...
                            X