Recovering a headboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering a headboard

I've been asked to recover a 6ft wide headboard with leather (supplied by the customer). The headboard is padded and currently covered with brushed velvet. The customer's suggested just putting the leather over the top. Assuming she just wants it plain, no piping or anything, I would just lay the leather over, staple gun it at the back then cover the back (possibly with something else as it won't be seen) and either staple gun or upholstery nail the back cover in place.

I've never worked with leather so would this work? And any idea how much I should charge?
    Jane

Re: Recovering a headboard

Hi Jane,
    I do cover headboards, but I've never used leather, so I hope it's fairly supple! But yes, your method seems right, staple the leather on the front, staple lining on the back and glue gimp on to cover the second set of staples. If you have someone to help, it can be easier with a big board as it's heavy - one at the front making sure the fabric/leather is straight and the other at the back stapling. Good luck with it!
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Sorry but my gut reaction is steer well clear for two reasons.
      1. Never cover on top of velvet/dralon as the pile will work against any fabric over it &with the suede on the back of the leather who knows what they might get up to.
      2. Having occasionally worked with leather back in the day of being an upholstery seamstress, I remember it being really hard to sew even with leather needle & industrial sewing machine (Are you going to get a hide big enough to cover this head board with no joins?) Also leather takes a heck of a lot of strength to stretch into position.
      I wish you the very best with your venture...
      Regards
      Mairi

Comment

you could always see if you can remove just the velvet. Must admit I didn't think about the hide sizes.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Jane
          Do you know what thickness the hide is?
          Regards
          Julie
          Kind Regards
          Julie Monty

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. I was nervous about taking it on because of the leather. Now I'm sure what to do.....I shall recommend she goes to a professional upholsterer. I don't need this kind of grief
            Jane

Comment

Working...
            X