Skirt for wrought iron bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skirt for wrought iron bed

A customer has asked if I could make a "skirt" for her wrought iron bed. I was thinking of making it so it looks like the skirt on a sofa - she doesn't want anything frilly. Thought I could use stiff pelmet buckram covered with interlining and then fabric to make the skirt and then attach the skirts to 3 sides of a flat piece of fabric which lays under & is held in place by the mattress. Does that sound like it would work?
    Jane

Re: Skirt for wrought iron bed

Yes, that will work, but consider: vacuuming under the bed will bash a stiffened valance, and sheet changing will also disturb it. interlining only would be better. I have a "skirt" on my wooden bedframe, attached with stickyback velcro on the inside of the bars, and the soft stuff on the front of the fabric. On an iron bed you'd need to be sure the surface was clean, and allow plenty of time for the glue to dry, or set, before attaching the valance. Mine's gathered, because that's what I wanted, it hides a lot of clutter, but a more formal one , perhaps with box pleats behind the legs would be very smart.

Comment

Re: Skirt for wrought iron bed

I have made quite a lot of fitted sheets and bed skirts in the past. I am not certain that a stiffened one is a good idea, everyone keeps stuff under their bed, and it will be disturbed each time it is moved. Also with iron beds you cannot make the skirts all in one piece, you will need to have 3 separate pieces, and leave a gap for the legs of the bed frame. This would be pretty straight forward to make though, centre piece the size of the bed, with 3 separate pieces stitched to the two long sides and one short side, although I would leave a gap each end to ensure there's enough space for the legs.

Sue.

Comment

Working...
      X