Timber wall fixing brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timber wall fixing brackets

This is an example of a wall mounted headboard using timber brackets, I would normaly use ply as the base but as this was for our spare bedroom I just used up scraps of timber and cheap fabric from down the market £5 per metre [attachment=2:3i8f5258]headboards 001.JPG[/attachment:3i8f5258][attachment=1:3i8f5258]headboards 003.JPG[/attachment:3i8f5258][attachment=0:3i8f5258]headboards 004.JPG[/attachment:3i8f5258]
    Regards Dave and Sue

Re: Timber wall fixing brackets

I used wall brackets on my last headboard with the resulting major fitting problems explained in a previous post! The main reason I did not use the wooden blocks that you use was because I thought it would protrude too far from the wall. Having looked at these pictures I see that you have a lip on the back of the board and the blocks therefore, do not stick out from the back of the board as much as they would have if the headboard was completely flat on the back, as mine was. How have you acheived this effect on the back? do you glue strips of wood around the edge of the board before covering it, and are they the same depth as the blocks or different?

Julie
    Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

The timber on the back is the same thickness as the brackets, I start by cutting the headboard shape out of ply/chipboard, shape and fix (glue & screw) the timber edge pieces, then glue 1" foam to the front cover that with wadding and F/R interliner and finally the main fabric.
      When making a shaped headboard the face cloth will not pull round the back neatly so I staple to the side and finish of the edge with piping and a strip of fabric (contrast in this case) back tacked to the piping. I like to finish the back of the board by glueing a tape over the cut edge, this helps in case there is a slightly proud staple and prevents it from marking the wall paper when I slide the headboard onto the brackets.
      Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

It's such a good way of doing headboards Dave, really neat. Do you use the same method when there is a curved edge, and if so how do you do the 'curvy' bits?
        Janie

Comment

Hi Janie,

I posted an example of a very curvy headboard in upholstery under "something different to pelmets". (I think there is a way to do a link to it but I have not worked that out yet) I have attached the picture of the back, as you can see it is very curvy [attachment=0:2d18ofno]Headboard le Maison Talbooth 006.JPG[/attachment:2d18ofno]
          Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

So clever! I wish you n Sue lived closer

Comment

Yes but how do you do the shaped bit on the back?
              I wish I lived closer to you too!
              Janie

Comment

I love all your headboards - does seem a great way to do them. Can't quite get my head around the edges though - how do you get the back-tacked strips of fabric to go round to the back neatly - surely you have the same problem as trying to get the face fabric to lie neatly over the curved parts. I am assuming that the piping is fixed to the front edge of the headboard, and the back tack strip is therefore running round the edge. (Does that make sense?)
                Rosannagh

Comment

Hi Rosannagh Janie,

The piping is stapled to the side edge not the front, then a strip of fabric is back tacked on top of that using back tacking strip and pulled round and stapled to the back of the board.
                  As for shaping the timber, I think you can see on the curvy headboard I have used sections of 8"x2" to make up the shaped sections.
                  Next time I make one I will try to take some more informative pictures showing the edge construction and covering in more detail.
                  Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Thanks Dave, you're a star
                    Janie

Comment

I was thinking about the shaped headboard and figured that to shape the the wooden blocks on the back I would need to fix them to the back of the board extending out from the actual shaped edge, and then cut out the shape again thereby trimming off the excess wood - would that be ok? I guess you could also do it before cutting out the finished shape and do the whole thing in one cutting?

Julie
                      Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

I tend to cut the shape out of the ply first,then I fix the wood blocks with just a couple of screws, mark the shape then take the block off and cut the shape and then refix, it is a lot easier to handle in small sections.
                        Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

You have to keep your cuts dead true - this is always my problem. I tend to waver in and waver out, even though I'm sticking to the pencil line.

Comment

Thanks for that info, I just need an order for a headboard now so that I can put it all into practice!! My problem, being such a small business, is I spend time learning how to do something and then I don't get another to do for months, by which time I have to learn all over again!!

Julie
                            Julie

Comment

I know just what you mean Julie!

Comment

Working...
                              X