Upholstery Question !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upholstery Question !!

Hi, I've been given this chair to re-cover. The client bought it in an online sale and is of the opinion that it is a new chair that has been 'distressed' to make it look old. I stripped it down today and could see by the fillings used that it's clearly not new. I wondered if any Upholsterers out there would have any info. on how old it may be?

[attachment=1:3rqz9vje]HPIM1562.JPG[/attachment:3rqz9vje] [attachment=0:3rqz9vje]HPIM1566.JPG[/attachment:3rqz9vje]

Cat
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: Upholstery Question !!

Hi
    is that real horsehair under the rolled edge? we were only allowed to use the real stuff, but on modern chairs I think mostly fake hair is used, cant remember the name of it though...sorry not much help.
    Helen

Comment

Mmmn, not sure what the filling is 'tho I'm sure it's not horse hair, it looks more like a grass/sisal matting or coir? It's the oddest stuff!

Cat
      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

I always find it really hard to tell the age of a chair on what is inside it. I have found so many chairs upholstered in so many different ways! I am lucky enough to have my uncle who is an antiques dealer so I usually give him a call!! I find horsehair expensive and alot of people won't pay for it so use Coconut hair instead these days.

Sorry am not much use!
        Kindest Regards,
        Karen

Comment

Thank you for your reply, Karen. It's not coconut hair either, too long and thick for that. It's sooo hard to sit on, no give at all. so the request is to make it as comfy as possible. Going to start the re-cover tomorrow.

Cat
          Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Working...
          X