Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Female Upholsterers Out There

Hi
    Just wondered was there any more lady upholsteres out there, I can only think of myself and Karen C.
    Regards
    Julie
    Kind Regards
    Julie Monty

Re: Any Female Upholsterers Out There

Hi Julie,

Thats an interesting question. We can't be the only ones ...... can we???!!!
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Comment

But isn't it nice to be the 'special ones'?

Comment

Hi Julie
        I do not consider myself to be an Upholsterer by trade but I do attend a weekly vocational Upholstery class and have done for the last 4 years. It's only 2 hours a week but I love it.
        There are ladies in my class that have been going for 15 years or more.
        I am in the midde of a wing arm chair at the moment which I am going to top cover with a lovely cream and red tartan.
        At this rate it's going to take 20 years before I have completed my apprenticeship.
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I enjoy recovering small pieces for clients but not armchairs or sofas. After recovering my own four seater sofa 4 times I decided,never again!! I'ts such hard work. Give me curtains and blinds, any day !!

However, I've been looking for a tired and sad small chaise longue to recover for ages, would love to do one of them. LA sell a small piece called a Prestbury bench and I keep looking at it to try and get an idea of how it's constructed but haven't got my head round it yet.

I take my hat off to you Karen and Julie it's a great skill to have.

Cat
          Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Hi there,
            I used to go to an upholstery class and absolutely loved it. There is always good banter, little coffee breaks etc, and not much work seemed to get done, but like Penny's class some people had been there for years and years. Sadly my class finished up but I would really recommend it to anyone.
            Helen

Comment

Only in a minor way, have recovered my dining chairs and a few other pieces, such as an old office chair from its original leatherette to a lovely tapestry fabric but would love to take a real course. Fancy the one I spotted in North Wales but don't have the time. sigh!!

Comment

I too reupholstered dining room chair drop in seats a few years ago - 8 and two carvers, and I had first made the bargello tapestry covers!! bit of a labour of love for my mother. I also did a smal bedroom arm chair some years ago in an upholstery class - I did enjoy it, but one had to fight to get the attention of the teacher, or else you sat for weeks not getting anywhere - luckily I can usually make my voice heard above others!!
                I have also made quite a lot of upholstered bedheads - with ruched and piped borders - I quite enjoy doing those.
                Rosannagh

Comment

Hi

I have just started offering upholstery!! I have done a few bits but am building up slowly and with smaller items due to space. I am in my last year of the city and guilds diploma course. I did my soft furnishing dip about eight years ago before I had my son, and have been using it since!! I enjoy the upholstery but find it physically hard work to do all day compared to the soft furnishings. I have a friend doing the same course so there will be two off us when we finish!!
                  There seems to be alot of retired men doing it in our area, what happens when they go I don't know!!??

Mary

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                    I am a female upholsterer, I also teach which takes up more of my time nowadays, I have to agree that as a student in upholstery classes you do have to fight to get your voice heard, Kathy, who is a regular user of this site, is one of my students and doing very well so that’s another two of us.
                    Best wishes
                    Susan

Comment

I am a novice upholsterer and for my first project decided to do a victorian iron back chair for my daughter. My mother had recovered it for me so it seemed fitting. Several Saturdays (approx 3 years) later it's nearing completion Hurrah!!!! But what fun. Those bloody button holes, never again.... Will post a photo of before and after once complete

Jane

Comment

Jane, of course you realise now you are committed to finishing it....
                        Kind regards
                        Pen Harrison
                        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Those 'Red Liquid' Button Hole drove you mad then Jane, lol!

Comment

Hi There

Yes I have started a course this year and very much enjoying the course. As soon as I have completed my first project I shall put pictures up! Susan67 is my tutor as she said and is a very good one too! lol creep creep.

Kathy
                            K W Designs
                            Bournemouth

Comment

Hello out there! I have just joined as a member but have been looking at the posts ( mainly for curtains and blinds) for about 4 months now and love this site. I have learned so much from all of you and now i feel i can contribute in some way! I realise the question of how many female upholsterers you have in the forum was raised some time ago! i have done upholstery for about 9 years now and passed my city and guilds about 7 years ago. I work from home and still go to recreational classes once a week as you are always learning ... I have done everything from sofas, iron back chairs, firesides, seats, box cushions - you name it if it stays still for too long it gets upholstered! I am happy to help, i log on about once a week - life is busy!!
                              thanks for all your support so far
                              jane

Comment

Working...
                              X