Fire Safety Regs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Safety Regs.

Hi. I've been asked to make new loose covers for a rocking chair. It consists of a wooden frame with one long back removable cushion, seat cushion and removable cushion on footstool. Am I right in thinking that fire retardant fabrics only should be used for this. The customer wants the existing foam filling used. As I usually only make curtains, blinds etc. I'm a bit unsure what price to quote. Any ideas for three cushions- 1) 38x24" 2) 24x24" 3) 20x20" they are a soft shape, not boxed but will be piped.

Any advice would be appreciated, Cat C.
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: Fire Safety Regs.

I think you either need FR treated fabric or an FR liner over the cushion under the fabric. More details here http://www.my.decozo.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1480

I am not an expert so hopefully someone else can confirm details.....
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

My understanding is that if the cushions conform to FR regulations, you don't need FR treated fabrics for a domestic setting. The cushions should be labeled as such, as all modern furniture. Dont forget that natural fibres are inherently fire retardant.

But again, I'm not an expert.

It takes me about 75 minutes hours to make a decent sized box cushion, piped and zipped, a bit less if there are more (less time to cut out, make up piping, etc).
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you, Louise and Pen,for your replies,

I have now read 'thru the fire regs. and it does say that fire retardant fabric is required for loose cushion covers.( scatter cushions covers are exempt but the cushions themselves must be F.R.'d ) I have phoned a few upholstery suppliers and they said that the cushion foam inserts can be used again as they are only 2yrs. old and would comply anyway. They also said that all upholstery fabric is F.R. treated so is safe to use and that I wouldn't have to supply a label on the new covers unless the furniture is being used in rented premises.
        Hope that helps anyone else who is recovering small pieces.

Cat C.
        Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Working...
        X