Staple remover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staple remover

I have just started to unpick the cover from the first of the chairs that I am going to reupholster - I've been at it for about 4 hours and don't think I am half way through the first one. Can anyone tell me which is the best type of staple remover to use. I have been using a wooden handled tack lifter and now am blistered and have a very sore wrist. There must surely be a better way. Have looked up upholsteres supplies but there seem to be different types. Please help as am feeling dispondant at the task ahead
    Thanks
    Janie

Re: Staple remover

I'm not an upholsterer, but can't you just rip the fabric off or cut it off close to the staples and remove it, leaving the staples in place?
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Small screwdriver and a pair of pliers is what I use. Beastly, filthy job.I'm not an upholsterer, either,at least not for other people,but I'm sure someone will know

Can't leave them in, sure as eggs they'll be in the way.

Comment

Hi Janie,

You have my sympathy, removing staples is a horrible job. I recently recovered two tub chairs and I'm sure I must have removed around 400 staples with great difficulty! I eventually found something that worked, a small electrical screwdriver to get under the staple just enough to grab with a large pair of cushioned plyers.
        It does take time and there are no short cuts but I personally wouldn't leave them in as when it comes to stapling on the new fabric you will find that the staple gun will be hitting the old ones. Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't know of any especially made gizmo for the job.

Cat C.
        Kind regards

Cat

Comment

hi there

i use a pointed end staple remover (i think it was from JA milton), and a pair of pincers for the staples that only come out half way or which break. you can use a mallet with the staple remover and this can make things quicker and easier on the hands. i have also used my friends berry staple remover which was very easy to use, and i would consider buying one of those in the future.
          i would use a stripping chisel(cranked) and a mallet for removing tacks which is much quicker.

stripping a chair, particulallary a modern one can take as long as re upholstering it again. air compression staple guns have a lot to answer for!!

Mary

Comment

Working...
          X