Should I reupholster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I reupholster?

I have two howard style armchairs which I would like to have recovered. They are in very good condition and are good quality, so I think they only need recovering but what do you upholsterers think about a curtain maker doing it herself? Is it possible to follow a book or do you think it's madness on my part?

Re: Should I reupholster?

Hia Janie

The book I used when I started learning were Upholstery a practical guide by Desmond Gaston - I think they quite rare now, but I got a copy of ebay.
    Also I just started recovering chairs that I bought from auction to practise on - until I pestered the local upholsterer to take me on :P

Is there any local upholstery classes where you could take one of the chairs as a project.

Well worth doing C&G if they still run this type of course and if you have the time.

Just do it - this great forum will keep you right. You have a head start because you are already a curtain maker

Regards
    Julie - Originals Upholstery & Soft Furnishings
    Kind Regards
    Julie Monty

Comment

I bought a book a few months ago and was motivated by it as the instruction for complete upholstery are so easy to follow. I have bought many upholstery books over the years they all they've ever done is collect dust, this one is different.

Take a look at Simple Upholstery I can certainly recommend it.
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I have considered simple upholstery too, but the fire and flame retardency rules and regulations keep scaring me off. They seem to complex. I have added that book to my Amazon wish list. Thanks Philip.
        Sue.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I have ordered the simple upholstery book through Amazon- a bargain at £4.50 second hand! The chairs are too big and heavy for me to contemplate taking to an evening class unfortunatly. Still unsure whether to have a go but I'll see what the 'little book' has to offer
          Janie

Comment

Go for it! I'm not saying its easy but as some one has already said you've got a head start being a curtain maker! Have a look at the book and just remember to work through one stage at a time.

I've been upholstering for 5 years now so will help you all I can and I absolutely love it!
            Kindest Regards,
            Karen

Comment

Working...
            X