Modernists or purists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modernists or purists

Those of you who have had a go at reupholstering pieces of furniture or regularly do upholstery, do you find their is more call for Mod or Trad? Are people prepared to pay for time involved in Trad method?

Re: Modernists or purists

Hi Jules,

I find that alot of my upholstery work is modernish furniture that people require recovering - due to getting grubby / wrong colour for the colour scheme etc.

I do get the odd big of traditional work in but I find unless it has sentimental value people don't want to pay for the hours that need to go into it - how about you?
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Comment

Hi Karen,

So far, only done three sofas, one for me, which needed stripping and recovering. They had all been done with staples, tacks, backtack strip etc. Lots of dining chairs in a similar vein.

The only 'proper' things I have done have been two French chairs, with hand done needlepoint seats, arms and backs. The outer back fabric was silk, which had rotted in sunlight. I found the close nailing quite hard to get even and as I didn't have a plastic tipped hammer, used bits of leather over the head of mine, which kept falling off... It isn't easy work and I find the stripping of big things very heavy work.

Not sure I'll take on big stuff again, unless its for me or family.

Jules

Comment

It is hard work I do agree but I love it - must be mad!!!

You definately need a plastic hammer for the studs and have you got a spacer for the studs too? You can put about 4 in at once - keeping your lines alot more even and straight.

Where do you get your upholstery supplies from?
        Kindest Regards,
        Karen

Comment

Hi Karen,

No, I don't have a spacer. I think I read about one on Joan Milton's web site, where I buy stuff I can't get locally (JAM is the company name). I bet it would make life easier. The bit I hate is piping sofa cushions.... Yuk.

How about you?

Jules

Comment

p.s. did you see my first sofa in the gallery? I'm telling you this is quiet font!!

Comment

Oops! So it is

Was that better for quiet?

Comment

Hi Jules,

I do traditinal uphostery at week-end classes. Speaking to my tutor who is an experienced upholster (17 + years) I think most definately not. Unless it's an antique piece people do not want to pay!!

Comment

Hi Jules - yes it was silent - had my nose to the screen to try and read it!!!!!

I have not seen your picture and the sofa looks fantastic - how long did it take you? You must be very proud of yourself!

Will post a couple of pictures of a couple of things I have made for you to have a look at.
                  Kindest Regards,
                  Karen

Comment

Hi Karen,

I've had a look and they are excellent. You know which bit I hate most of all? Making the bloody cushion covers. I get stressed before I begin. It took about a week but most of that was the stripping. With hindsight, a patterned fabric was perhaps not the best to start with as it was quite difficult cutting out the pieces so the pattern matched on the inside, the back, ran down through the cushions and then down to the skirt.

My next ones were stripes so a bit easier.

How long does it take you to do a two seater?

Comment

I really hate the cushion part too. If it is a plain sofa I usually do the cushions first to get them out of the way!!! Obviously with a patterned you can't do this!

A two seater sofa, if I don't get any inturuptions would take me approx 2 -3 days depending on size and how many cushions are involved!
                      Kindest Regards,
                      Karen

Comment

I think you're quicker than me! I think I'm a bit of a snail.... It's the stripping back that takes my time. I find that really heavy work. Though I think it's a fab idea to get the cushions out of the way first... I'll do that next time.

But don't you just get a buzz when it's finished? As a child, I could knit but much preferred to sew. I think it was down to the instant gratification of sewing that you just couldn't get from knitting, as it took so long. Maybe that's the upholsterer's buzz?

Next project is Victorian Sofa for sister-in-law to be. She has chosen the most unsuitable fabric and already had it done once by a guy who just forgot to put any padding on it at all. It looks to un-plump and sad!

Up for giving me a hand?

x.

Comment

I too get a buzz when its finished - it might be hard work when you are doing it but definately worth it in the end then I can't wait to start my next!!

Let me know when you are starting your Victorian sofa and of course I try and give you a hand - pictures would be good. I hate it when people supply unsuitable fabric, it makes it difficult when you really would advise them against it, how ever some people can't be advised!!!

I'm on a 2 seater knoll sofa at the moment, am about to tackle the arms today so fingers crossed they will be sorted by tonight and then I shall tackle the dreaded cushions tomorrow!
                          Kindest Regards,
                          Karen

Comment

Thanks Karen,

I'll be borrowing my mum's digi camera, I can see and taking you up on your offer! You might regret it!!

Good luck with your 'you-know-whats'. I'll put you in my prayers!!

x

Comment

I look forward to trying to help you!

Am a little behind with the knole sofa, had to rush off to my mum who had collapsed yesterday afternoon ! So have just fitted the arms back on today so will finish them off in the morning and am going to make the skirt before I attempt the cushions. So cushions will be a Saturday job I think - hopefully they will go fine!
                              Kindest Regards,
                              Karen

Comment

Working...
                              X