Silk film?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silk film?

Does anyone use 'silk film' when making bench cushions etc.? I was reading about it over the weekend and wondered how useful it was to make getting the covers on and smooth.

One site also suggested leaving it in place to add a degree of water protection to the cushions.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Silk film?

I have no idea what you are talking about....but I am intrigued!

Comment

Have you seen the Sailright Youtube video on silk film, Louise? I'd never heard of it, but it looks very useful if you're making a quantity of box-sided cushions, especially if they're odd shapes.

Kate
      Last edited by Kate T; 2nd February 2015, 13:09. Reason: Punctuation!!!

Comment

Yes Kate, that's one of the places I've seen it. They are so slick at box cushions and all sorts of things on those US videos!

curtainqueen - you can source it here by the roll through some of the upholstery suppliers..........fitting foam cushions with silk film.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I always cover my foam inners with wadding and stockinette and generally don't have any problems getting the inners in. And it looks like you have to buy around 3000m of silk foam a time!
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Well,I'll go to the foot of our stairs!if I ever have a monster amount to stuff, I know what to get ��

Comment

Shame nowhere seems to sell it in smaller amounts....
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi all
                thanks for adding me.
                I made my way to the forum through looking for the silk film.
                I was very close to importing some from the U.S.but thankfully decided to carry on the search.
                so I took my search from the obvious.....silk film,upholsters film etc.
                And found some polythene sheet from tool station,it is very thin and worked a treat,and the price was fantastic too,£4 for a large roll.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p46541?table=no
                I hope this helps you all.
                Kind regards
                Sean

Comment

Interesting thread.......having spent ages trying to get cushion inners into FR thick fabric. was wondering about bin bags or even refuse bags as long as one got all the plastic out....crinkle crinkle.....has anyone tried this method with the vacuum cleaner? It works well for winter woolies in bags so why not for cushions. Another job that I should have said NO.....hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Comment

Just in case anyone wants to try.....black plastic trash bags do work, the hardest bit being getting it all out as , yes, it does crinkle if left inside. Its amazing how wee the inners go........

Comment

If anyone wants to see an expert..... https://youtu.be/K5lPw81UvcI
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                      X