Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PELMET FOR BAY WINDOW - WHAT MATERIAL TO USE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PELMET FOR BAY WINDOW - WHAT MATERIAL TO USE?

Hi All,

Have settled on 6mm hardboard for straight pelmets. But I have a bay window one coming up in the next month or so. I have experienced waviness with previous buckram pelmets I have made, and am not sure I want to go to the trouble of having a wooden one pieced together. I would like buckram but firmer if such a thing exists. Have read all the previous posts, and am wondering if to have a go with the loomstate canvas. What sort of finished look do you get, is it firm or soft? Do they look like upholstered pelmets until you actually touch them? This is an old house and the bays and ceilings are not as straight as they were, so a bit of flexibility will be needed when installing.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Have done lots of work for this client over the years for their home, and they now have a pub, so I need to make a good job of this, for when they start considering improvements there too!

Sue.

Re: PELMET FOR BAY WINDOW - WHAT MATERIAL TO USE?

Morning Sue,

I am about to start a pelmet for a bay window, which is a very square design. I am opting for the 4mm ply. I have done a loomstate canvas pelmet and although it looked fine, I don't feel that I would be able to achieve the real clean hard lines I want with this pelmet. I personally prefer the hard ones, however I can understand your challenge with the flexibility being required. Have you got any canvas just to have a little practice, so that you can see whether you like the finished effect?
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Comment

Hi Karen,

Thanks for that. I am keen to know if you staple into the 4mm ply? I ask as I have used this before, but have been unable to find staples that don't go all the way through the the front. I have a Streets account but have looked through it and cannot find loomstate canvas in there. Is that what it is called, I have looked under the miscellaneous fabrics section? Assume from your reply that this is a fairly soft fabric?

Thanks Sue.

Comment

Hi Sue

You can buy 15oz loomstate canvas from Whaleys in Bradford and Merrick & Day.

Philip
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Morning Sue,

I also get my canvas from Merrick and Day.

I use 6mm staples but by the time the wadding and the actual top fabric are on there you can't feel the staples and they definately don't come all the way through. I also turn the pressure down slightly on the compresser so they don't fire in quite so far, but far enough.
          Kindest Regards,
          Karen

Comment

Hi
            We use 4mm ply.
            For bays and extra long pelmets where a join is required we fix the join with duct tape or similar. It was one of my ladies idea and although sceptical to start with, it worked exceptionally well.
            Also got over the problem of transporting long pelmets as it could be bent in half with no problems.
            We glue gun the velcro to the back of the pelmets and then if necessary tack with a panel pin when it is up.
            In the past I have used Vilene heavy stiffener from Downey Caric for bays it is the best of the buckram type stuff but I prefer 4mm ply
            The vilene comes in 45cm or 90 cm widths
            Cheers
            Clark

Comment

Hi Clark,
              Is it a hot glue gun you use and do you glue the velcro onto the board through the lining? Does it hold?

With regards to joins and for the joins on the returns, I've always glued on fabric strips, bending the board before the glue dries to make sure the corner bends far enough. I will try duct tape next time - it sounds easier and less messy!
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi
                Yes it is a hot melt glue gun we use and the velcro is glued to the lining. It does hold very well.
                One of my ladies staples her velcro on using 1/4" staples but she has to be careful they dont come through hte face.
                I prefer the glue gun method, it is much easier
                Cheers
                Clark

Comment

Working...
                X