Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelmet placement above Window

Afternoon All,

Please can someone tell me the correct placement in cm's above the window - roughly. Obviously this sometimes depends on the job.

Am I right in also thinking that when fitting a pelmet you come down and cover the recess of the window slightly? So when you stand back you don't see any wall between the bottom of the pelmet and the window when the curtains are open? Also proportion wise is about 1/5th of the window right?

I hope that makes sense!
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Re: Pelmet placement above Window

Hi Karen,

This is one of those questions that I dither over most when doing a job. Every time I panic. It is important to make sure that when you have the pelmet in place that it hides all those nasty frames, cornices and mastic that is usually present around most windows without making the treatment look top heavy or cut out too much light. If the pelmet has a depth of say 4" or 6" the amount of the bits you want to hide differ, and I usually get the client to walk away from the window and then look at it as they walk nearer. This is whilst I am holding up a bit of lining at the approx. drop of the pelmet. This angle does change though depending on the depth i.e. return of the pelmet. I once had everything perfectly planned and then found that my stock pelmet brackets were too deep and would have been hanging down below the recess. I had to go out the night before around every B&Q and Focus etc. to find suitable replacements.

Usually 10 - 16cm seems about right though. But my own house has very low windows, and I make my pelmets slightly deeper and put them higher to make the windows appear longer than they really are.

Sue.

Comment

In my opinion pelmets should be placed as high as you can, close to the cornice/coving - Upholstered pelmets and swags and tails and such drapery.

example one

example two

example three

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Morning,

Thanks for your replies. The reason I asked this question was because I always thought that a pelmet covers as Sue has said the Frames, Mastic etc.

I have a client who wants the pelmet up by the cornice - I have no problem with this however what you will see (from wherever you stand in the room) is Cornice - Pelmet - Wall above the window - The window frame and recess. I have tried to talk the customer into have a deeper pelmet to make sure it at least comes down to the recess of the window but this is not happening! Am really not sure about this window treatment as I think it is going to look completely out of proportion with the window now. What can you do?
        Kindest Regards,
        Karen

Comment

Karen, do a sketch for the client, point out the proportions and it they still want it there way, do it.. Put it all down on paper and have them sign off on the job before you start. Just because the customer is always right, it doesn't mean they have a clue!

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi
            I agree that the pelmet should be fitted as close as possible to the coving(between 5-10" above window in most houses) and then have enough depth to cover the top of the window. I have never made a pelmet that would allow you to see wall above the window, in my view this would look ridiculous. But like you say what can you do, apart from what Philip suggests
            Cheers
            Clark

Comment

I'm glad you all agree with me, was thinking I didn't have a clue about window treatments!

I have done various drawings for this client for her to confirm the design of the pelmet itself. I did each one as an overlay of a photo of the window so you can see exactly where everything fits. This was signed off and agreed. However for some reason I felt that I should do a paper pattern and take it out and pin it up - so this is what I did. She said she needed to live with it over the weekend - ok that was fine. Went to collect it yesterday and it was bluetacked to the ceiling! The ceiling is a good 60 cm above the top of the window recess! Its a bay window and having the pelmet that high is going to make if look really small and dumpy - in my opinion. Now all of my thought, design etc. etc. has gone out of the window! But as Philip said if this is what the client wants. However she will have to sign everything off as I am having no part of this other than making it now.
              Kindest Regards,
              Karen

Comment

If the pelmet is going higher up, wont this alter the proportions and make the pelmet (and curtains) longer?
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Pen, This is exactly what I am trying to say to my client, however she doesn't want to lose any light! I explained that it would be out of proportion with the window and the curtains etc. etc. etc. however she is adament that she does not want the pelmet any longer than it currently is. I have advised that if we add an extra 6cm to stay in proportion with everything else, this would at least take us down and cover the wall above the recess, not the actual window frame but at least the wall - no way was the answer!
                  Kindest Regards,
                  Karen

Comment

I'd be inclined to cut long enough and make really deep hems, save a lot of trouble when you're asked to make it longer, as you will be when she sees how silly it looks with wall beneath it.

Comment

Working...
                    X