Pelmet canvas - how do you use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelmet canvas - how do you use it?

Me again. One day I might actually be able to answer questions instead of constantly asking them.....

I saw Jules' beautifully made pelmet in the gallery and she said it had been made with the canvas rather than buckram. I'm interested in trying one of these so have ordered a metre from M & D to "play" with.

From the photo it looks slightly padded, so I presume it's been interlined with domette or similar. Am I right?

How is this stuff best used?

Is the interlining just laid loosely on top or do you have to interlock the layers together?

Re: Pelmet canvas - how do you use it?

Hi Bluebell,

Can't help with your query, but sending you moral support, as you seem to be tripping over all the hazards that happen to me when I try something new!

Good Luck.
    Sue.

Comment

Thanks Sue!

Comment

Was there ever an answer to this question? If there was I'd ( and probably a few others ) would really like to know how to use loomstate canvas. I'm not ashamed to say I'm a loomstate virgin

I only ever use ply and I have a rather large 5m long box pelmet to do next week it has to have cut outs around the picture rail as theres no way to avoid it. I have templated the cut out using a tool purchsed form good old B&Q that is like a line of pins that move and create a template when pushed against the moulding, I dont know what its called sorry!

so anyone care to share who has experience of using loomstate?

Comment

When I used this recently I made the pelmet in pretty much the same way as you would any pelmet - Only difference being the canvas is very tightly woven and you can't sew into it, therefore you have to have a layer of interlining on the back as well as padding the front. The interlining on the back becomes an anchor for sewing the face fabric and backing fabric into. I also spray glued the interlinings to the canvas.

Put a single layer on the front and then put another, larger layer over that and fold it over the top and down the back.. Tack stitch the layers at the bottom around the shape and then cover.

See here for my recent attempt

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I am currently working on another cotton canvas pelmet and have changed my method slightly after discussing the theory at great length with Karen Rhodes. This time I covered one side with a layer of interlining and then using a larger piece of interlining to cover the back and front in one. This gave me a double layer on the front and a single layer at the back. The reason for the layer at the back is that it acts as an anchor to sew the lining too.

So, fold the larger piece over the at the top covering both back and front, cut the shape at the bottom and tack sew to keep the bottom together. I also machined 3 rows of stitching through all thickness on this pelmet as shown in fig 1. The pelmet is for a square bay and this stitching will prevent the interlinings from bagging at the inverted corner turn.

Fig 2 shows the turn the pelmet is expected to make when fitted - When I cover the pelmet with the main fabric, I will start at the front at the stitching and slip stitch the face fabric down the machine lines to lock them all together and hopefully create a sharpe, smooth inverted corner.

The method for making a cotton canvas pelmet is exactly the same as making any buckram pelmet and it is shown in the M&D book - The only difference I have found is the need to put the interlining on the back to sew into.

Philip

[attachment=1:11mzw9ur]pel1.jpg[/attachment:11mzw9ur]
            [attachment=0:11mzw9ur]pel2.jpg[/attachment:11mzw9ur]
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks for the info on this subject.

Have just finished my first soft pelmet - went really well thank goodness! Was a little worried about how to do it, until of course I logged onto here.

Was only a little one to go over a roman, but who knows what I might get up to now!

Thanks again you are all brilliant.
              Kindest Regards,
              Karen

Comment

Hi All,

Have received a generous sample from Merrick and Day - large enough to make a small sample pelmet (FYI).

The reason I am choosing this material as opposed to wood or buckram is that the ceiling where the pelmet board is attached to is not very level, also there are some very subtle undulations on the edge where the velcro is attached. Therefore anything too rigid will not say put, or fit snugly to the board or ceiling. It looks like a simple splay bay but as the property is very old there has been some significant movement. Also the pelmet is going to be fairly deep (50cm). I was afraid of having waviness if I used buckram (as several of us have experienced in the past). So hopefully this is the right material for the job???

It is also going to be very long, 3.5 - 4M. Can the completed item be rolled or will this lead to some baginess on the fabric???

I have looked at the very useful instructions here, and just want to clarify - is the interlining all glued on, also between the two layers on the front???

Philip - do you have a photo of the back of a finished pelmet canvas??? I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
                Sue.

Comment

Philip - I have looked at the photos in the other topic showing the reverse. What is the herringboning stitching for around the Velcro?

Thanks,
                  Sue.

Comment

Hi All,

Not this old chestnut. Have just made a sample pelmet using the very generous sample sent to me by M & D. I think this is the only material suitable for this pelmet board that is not straight or level. I have explained all these issues to the client and told her why I am planning to use the loomstate.

Basically I made it the way Philip describes. I found it easier than pelmet buckram because is is more like a fabric to handle. Think heavy duty tent fabric! It is not prickly or stiff. However I did have trouble getting a nice flat front, as if you pull too taut the calico buckles. This pelmet I have to make is wide and quite long with 2 external and 2 internal corners. I can see by my very small sample that it will be almost impossible to get a completely flat finish on the front unless the fabric itself is glued onto the interlining which I would not do. Now I am starting to wonder if double-sided pelmform would be a better option - please help!!! Trying to get a completely flat fabric with no baginess around the shaped edges and corners is going to be a nightmare. I keep looking at photos of pelmets wondering how anyone can get the face fabric so smooth.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
                    Sue.

Comment

Hello,

I had this problem a few weeks ago. I wanted a really crisp clean effect from the fabric, with not a ripple or anything like that in site. I couldn't achieve this with the loomstate canvas. I had to use 4mm ply in the end. Hope this helps.
                      Kindest Regards,
                      Karen

Comment

Working...
                      X