No announcement yet.

Pelmet buckram - how wet do you get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelmet buckram - how wet do you get it?

I'm currently making pelmets using buckram and wadding - I have never done one before so am a bit clueless at moment.

My instructions refer to "moistening the buckram" and then sticking the wadding to it before trimming neatly.

How moist does the buckram need to be? I'm using a spray bottle right now and it seems fairly damp, but doesn't apear to be sticking to the wadding....

Does it matter which side I moisten?

How long will it take to dry and adhere? Maybe I'm checking too early.....

Any advice please, peeps?

Re: Pelmet buckram - how wet do you get it?

Hi Bluebell

I've never wet pelmet buckram myself, and I have never needed too.. I'm assuning you're using hessian pelmet buckram? If so, lay your interlining on, I put it back and front a iron over it with a good steam iron, the steam should be enough to activate the glue in the buckram.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Philip, thanks for this. Yes, it's hessian but it's the polyester wadding I'm using to give it a more padded effect. I didn't feel the domette would give enough body and was keen to keep the weight down as much as possible, as the largest pelmet is nearly 4m long and the other is over 2.5m long. I was planning to use the wadding on the front and leave the back just lining, as it's not going to be seen at all (will be positioned well above window).

I've tried wetting a sample of the hessian on both sides and one is definitely more adhesive than the other, so I'll have another go after lunch (tummy's rumbling).

thanks!

Comment

You definately need the heat of the iron, but don't iron directly on to the buckram.. And don't expect it to stick like superglue..

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Philip you're a genius. Steaming the buckram in small sections then pressing the wadding onto it works absolutely beautifully. It's going to take a while to do but will be worth it. Best bit is that the buckram softens as well, so it removes the curl left from being rolled and the adhesion is brilliant. Great tip!

Thanks!!!

Comment

Sandwich the buckram between two pieces of fabric .. Maybe the interlining on one side and a length of scrap on the other and iron all at once - I use interlining on both sides to stop the buckram sticking to my table when ironing, you can always pull of off after..

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
            X