Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first pelmet advice

Hi Everyone

I have just been around to measure for my first 1 hard pelmet and 2 soft pelmets. I need to check if i am using the right wood etc wieght etc and cost.

The length of the hard pelmet is 275cm depth is 27.5 cm just plain not curves, i have read other questions and answers it looks like i should be using 6" x 1" PSE, (silly question what is PSE?) also using 4mm MDF for the pelmet, is the weight going to be ok?
    Should i attach the pelmet with velcro or make the box complete and upholster it?
    What do i charge, speaking to Sophie she charges £9.50 per 30cm, is this correct?

How much do i charge for a soft pelmet, fitting aready on walls, with not curves again this time the length is 375cm and depth 27cm?

I know it sounds silly but i just want to check before i send out my quotes, many thanks.
    Ally

Re: first pelmet advice

Hi Ally,

PSE is what the timber merchants call planned timber ie Planned Sides & Edge, which is the normal grade of timber you would use for a pelmet board, 6"x1" is the usual depth of board for a pelmet with curtains.

As for how you assemble it, that is down to personal choice. I prefer to make mine in one piece.
    If you decide to make the pelmet seperate and are concerned about the weight of the 4mm MDF facia, you could use 3mm but your pelmet depth is only 27.5cm so I don't think you will have a problem with the velcro holding it, there is an alternative to velcro you could just add a fabric flap to the top edge of your pelmet and drawing pin or staple that to the top of the board.

As for what your charging for the job £9.50 seems low to me as a retail price for a straight pelmet.

Best of luck
    Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Many thanks for the advice i like the idea of an extra flap over the top sounds good.

In regards to the price how do i work it out then? Remember this is the first one i have done i really am not sure what i should be charging.
      Ally

Comment

I think we had this topic a bit back?

Would the £9.50 for upholstered flat faces of ply/MDF include the wadding, velcro, lining and time?

Comment

Jules

yes i think Sophie said everything, seems a bit cheap to me NDA suggests £50 a width? I have read most of the past questions of the subject i am just not sure what to do, i need to get this quote out. Perhaps i go with the NDA suggestion? What do you think?
          Ally

Comment

I think you're perhaps better quoting by the foot cus if you get asked again, you will have a scale to charge to. I think my last sheet of 6mm ply was £25 and that's 4' x 8' and in effect you'd get 32 foot of potential pelmet from this so that's not v expensive. I suppose if you work out the components foot by foot, they're pretty cheap. It would be your labour costs (and method of make i.e. Handstitched or stapled?) that will be the harder bit to work out.

I have a figure of £12/foot in my head from somewhere. I suppose you're in a more expensive area than Sophie or me?

Comment

don't forget that if you are delivering it, it will need to fit in your vehicle!
              Janie

Comment

Yep, i did think of that many thanks.

ally
                Ally

Comment

Good point Janie! My hubby and I broke the shelf in my lovely golf stuffing my next to last lot in

Comment

Hi there

I was just reading this thread as I am still working on my price list. Would you price pelmets made from buckram the same as those made from plywood? Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each material? I have used plywood for the few that I have done in the past, and they always turned out fine, but I have to get my Dad to cut out any fancy shapes, and he is getting a bit old to do it now, so I was thinking of using buckram, which I could cut myself. However, I just have this idea that buckram might mis-shape/twist over time, I dont know why I think this, it is just a feeling.

Any advice much appreciated.
                    Gail

Comment

Forgot to ask - does the £9.50 per foot include the face fabric?

Thanks
                      Gail

Comment

Hi Gail,
                        I do not make buckram pelmets, but I started making pelmets because a customer was unhappy with a buckram pelmet
                        As for the pricing, I supply the trade so my prices are per foot and excludes the face fabric and trimmings
                        Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

I would never use buckrum again, I had terrible trouble getting it to sit flat. I always use 4mm ply and attach velcro flaps ( like Maureen Whitemore) If you use 50 cm velcro they will not go anywhere! The good thing about the flaps is that you can fix a very large pelmet on your own.

Julie
                          Julie

Comment

Yes, thats what I envisaged about buckram, so ply it is. I will have to get the Maureen Whitmore book, the velcro sounds like a good idea.

Thanks
                            Gail

Comment

Ok daft questions
                              I have 2 clients to visit both looking to have pelmets made...I'm delaying the visits (I know, not good for my reputation but...) tho I am pretty sure I can make a pelmit having trained in an upholsters, I have loads of questions.

1. Where do I buy the MDF, from DIY store or timber merchant?
                              2. Is MDF preferrable to ply for the face of the pelmit?
                              3. Will above materials bend round rightangle corners or must corners or the boards be curved?
                              4. Does the 1/5, 1/6 of curtain drop standard for being esthetically pleasing apply to hard pelmits?
                              5. Would beaded trims be part of this calculation or would it be to the bottom of face?
                              6. Do these proportions change when the curtains are not full length but over a window seat?
                              7. Can you buy MDF in narrow strips or does it come in sheets? ( I feel my roof bars being needed to be fitted :/)

I have another Q to add but can't remember the term of the wood I'm going to ask about so no doubt I will be back. Can you tell I like life to be as simple as pos ..but simple as pos doesn't bring in any money. Nor does this procastination...so please help me
                              Regards
                              Mairi

Comment

Working...
                              X