Shaping pelmet to fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaping pelmet to fabric

Hi I have always made pelmet shape and then used fabric but I now want to make a shaped pelmet to the shape of the fabric pattern. My little brain is thinking that to do this I need to make a template of the shape of the fabric that I want to cut out. What is the best way to do this? Is this going to be impossible to do?

Attached is the fabric I want to create the shape from. The plain material that outlines the leaves is the one I want to create the shape from so that they hang in 3 points across the pelmet. I am sorry if this doesnt make sense.

Thanks Sophie

[attachment=0:hv0dtv8v]2010 035.jpg[/attachment:hv0dtv8v]

Re: Shaping pelmet to fabric

Have you tried tracing over the design, folding in half and cutting, then putting back on top of the fabric to see how it works? It's either that or measure and mark onto paper. You will need to make a paper template to draw around onto your wood.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Pen yes I have tried doing that with clear plastic but I think I need to use tracing paper just wondered if I was working along the right track.

Sophie

Comment

Hi Sophie,

What I do if I have an intricate pattern to follow is to lay the fabric on top of thick paper, i.e. like wallpaper then I go over the outline of the pattern I want to copy with a pin and this marks the paper which I then cut out to form my template for cutting the wood

Hope this helps.

Regards Dave & Sue
        Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

I use sheets of a3 traing paper, and mark the design, then use the same sheets to have the wood cut!

hth sukhi xx
          Sukhi
          Butterfly Interiors
          Sue Rhodes Interiors

Comment

Thanks for those I will go and get some wallpaper tomorrow. Great idea.

Thanks

Sophie

Comment

Excellent idea, Dave, and much easier than trying to trace over a bumpy fabric!
              Regards
              Pen
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

to add to Daves excellent suggestion, you could try using a tracing wheel, but check first it does not damage the fabric.

Whilst not using a tracing wheel for window treatments, I have used it plenty of times for drafting clothes patterns (paper to paper rather then fabric to paper). For this I have used the brown wrapping paper on a large roll (I got mine from Officeworks, there something similar in UK but can't remember if it is the same name) with a large cutting mat underneath.

Comment

Working...
                X