timber pelmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timber pelmet

Have decided to put a curtain in my hall to warm it up as it's still freezing here. I was thinking of just putting up a timber pelmet that I can paint to match the walls and then conceal the curtain top underneath. Can someone tell me what type of timber to get? What type of track for underneath?. What type of heading on curtain would be best suited? As I like the open feel in the hall I would like to take the curtain down in summer, and also the hall is dull as we have the sunshine all day in the back of the house. Any help to get me started please. I could do with a loan of you Dave to pelmet my whole house ha ha
    Ursula

Re: timber pelmet

Hi there,
    I would probably use a pelmet shelf with metal swish track on the underside set back about 7-8 cms (depending on thickness of curtain) leave plenty of room so the heading does not brush the pelmet all the time. I normally then use Hardboard with returns which I interline first before top fabric, etc. As to the type of heading, pinch pleat is best if you want the curtains to sit in their folds, I also sometimes use good quality rufflette tape, as you will not see the tops, but they may not sit so well, or you may have to spend more time dressing them, just depends on the look that you want. I have put several interlined pelmets up here recently as the cold does seem to escape from the windows up the back of the curtains. I'm sure that pelmets do block out the drafts. Lots of nice thick interlining is the answer !!!!
    Hope this helps but I'm sure Pelmetman is the one to suggest the best pelmets...
    Helen

Comment

There are a couple of sites that might give you some ideas

Jali
      Topline
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Ursula, if you are painting it you just need planed wood, or you could also use MDF.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Ursula,

I tend use a 6"x1" top board and a 6mm MDF facia, there are lots of different mouldings available to dress it up but it sounds like you just want something fairly simple so I would put a plain moulding top and bottom to finish it off.
          For the curtains I would interline and my own preference is for 3" tape under pelmets, they can be dressed just aswell as pinch pleats and the folds will stay in place as long as you give them a few days to set.
          For the track I tend to use Kirsh regular or is it Interference now days? the company has changed so often I get confused and remember depending on how much room you have to stack back the cording set takes up 6" of track so it might be better to use uncorded.
          Hope this helps
          Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Thanks Helen, Louise, Pen and Dave for all the advice. Will get 6"x1" board and mdf and see how I get on. As I'm thinking of only having one curtain would a pole work underneath? without finials of course . I have an old silver pole and brackets and was going to put eyelets on the curtain as they would stack back flat would this work if I put the brackets of the pole on the wall? I'll attach a pic of the hall door area and again any advice to what would work best.

Ursula

[attachment=0:la9ouxta]hall 001 (2).jpg[/attachment:la9ouxta]

Comment

Hi Ursula,
              A pole should work okay, and you have plenty of room on the right hand side for the curtain to stack back.
              Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Thanks Dave

Comment

Hi,
                  Sorry didnt realise it was a front door, so probably couldnt have a pelmet as I said before.lots of other solutions though.
                  Helen

Comment

Hi Helen,

My fault for not mentioning it was my hall door and thanks for taking the time to give some advice. I will probably cover a timber pelmet in one of the bedrooms so your help will come in handy.
                    Ursula

Comment

You do love your black out blinds in Corbally!

Lovely big hallway Ursula.... Picks of your finished pelmet please!

Comment

Hi Jules,

ha ha - so glad you didn't get to me ha ha Hopefully my house will be pelmet, curtain and blind finished by the time you do. If I could only make my mind up about what fabric to get for the hall. Any help appreciated. Paint colour is gatehouse green and french white.
                        Ursula

Comment

Working...
                        X