Sectioned pelmet with piping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sectioned pelmet with piping?

I decided to do my next pelmet in sections but then thought how on earth would I pipe the bottom edge.
    That could'nt be done in sections could it? It would have to be in a continuous piece surely. I can't work out how to do it.
    Has anyone done one? helpppp.

Irene

Re: Sectioned pelmet with piping?

I have seen it done in sections, each section piped, with a mock goblet or pleat or tassel or something to mask the join between the sections, and the piping just disappears into the corner under the bit of fancy. If the pelmet is padded a little as well, and the corners are internal ones, I think it would be quite acceptable........see what the others suggest.

Enid

Comment

A good example of this can be found in M&D's Encyclopedia of Curtains, page 74 and M&D's Curtain Inspiration, pages 80 over 81.
      MyDecozo Admin

Comment

The ones I have made in sections have each been seperately piped. I just tried to make sure the piping was a little longer at each end and they seemed to butt up fine. I do have a couple of pics at home and will try to remember to post them if it might help. . .

Comment

Hi Irene,
          I prefer to make my bay pelmets in one piece, but that is not always possible as I can only make what will fit in the van, so large bays I make in sections, it is not a problem just make the piping a little longer as Jules suggests, and then when you fit put a stitch behind to hold in place.
          Below is one I made in sections which is self piped and just butted up together, it's not a very clear picture as it is a old style photograph not didgital.

Regards
          Dave

[attachment=0:1sqcseb8]bay%20pelmet%203%20section.jpg[/attachment:1sqcseb8]
          Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Hi Enid I am replacing swags and tails for a flat pelmet so no more tails or tassles but that is something for the future thankyou.
            Hi Jules and Dave I will butt it up like you said thankyou. Would I cut wood to exact size or just slightly smaller to allow for interling and fabric? This has been mentioned before but I can't find it.

Welcome to the forum Dave,fabulous stools really novel idea, and beautifully made too.

Regards
            Irene

Comment

Hi Irene,

With regard to your bay, is it a square or angled and how do you make your pelmets, do you cut out the facia board then upholster and attach it to the top board with velcro, or do you attach the facia board first and then cover? I do the latter.

With bays I tend finish my facia flush with the end of the top board, and then the fabrics will add a slight padding to the edge, also I just paint the top board rather than cover it in lining to allow easier trimming on site.

Thanks for your comments on the stools, they are a new venture for us, probably not the best time to start something new

As for running a course, I'd never thought of it.

Regards
              Dave
              Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Hi dave

I am doing an angled bay and I cut the board first then upholster it and use velcro to fix it I have'nt done it any other way, not sure I'd know how! So with me doing it that way would I need to make the board slighlty smaller do you think or make it the measured size so when its butted up to next piece its a really tight fit.
                Good luck with your stools I'm sure they will be a success.

As for the course doooo think about it............

Comment

Hi Irene,

If thats the way you make it, then I would first fit the top boards in the bay and take a final measuerment, so you have an exact size to work to.

Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the fabric and the velcro on the returns.

Hope this helps, it's not easy trying to picture how someone else works.

Regards
                  Dave
                  Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Hi Dave thankyou for your help, theres no returns on the pelmet its in a bay that butts up to the wall if that makes sense, so sould be quite straight forward,
                    famous last words!!!!

Regards
                    Irene

Comment

Hi Irene,
                      I always make mine the same as Dave - and I always keep the backing strip from the hook side velcro in the customer's file so that I have a point of reference for the pelmet size, just in case the board goes up before the fascia or indeed they want to change the pelmet in the future, which has happened! I'm always paranoid about measurements too, and my poor old brain feels happier if it can see the shiny bit of paper strip from the board as it's finishing off the pelmet ... my biggest problem isn't taking measurements, it's believing that they are (and I am!) right. That sinking feeling as you get to fit the wretched thing only to find that it's a couple of inches short - worst thing in the world!
                      Jackie

Comment

And by the way, SUPER pelmets Dave!
                        Jackie

Comment

I know what you mean about measuring Jackie I have had an order for a straight plain pelmet (before I do the piped one) in sections the amount of times i have measured is unbelievable
                          Still It has worked out fine the size at any rate BUT... I have just tried it up at the window and it fits fine at the top but having butted another piece up to it at one of the angles for some reason it splays open at the bottom if you know what I mean. If I pull it forward and hold it together its a perfect fit but it is not then flat on the board just catching the velcro, have I done anything wrong.
                          I did it all in sections to make it easier!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Any advice from anyone please.
                          Regards
                          Irene

Comment

Hi Irene,

Have you got a digital camera then we could see the problem more clearly? but I suggest a stitch at the bottom of the pelmets will hold the bottom together.

Just one other thought the velcro which is on the pelmet have you stapled it to the back of your pelmet, or is it just attached to the lining?

I have had another thought, I think what your describing is the pelmet tipping forward, this could be because there is no return to force it upright, in this case then the stitch should hold it.

Regards
                            Dave
                            Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Hi Dave I have taken a picture but dont know how to post it Philip kindly did it for me last time. yes I have stapled velcro to back of pelmet.
                              The pelmet is in 5 bits and there will be a return on customers window but I just put this up at my window to see the what it looked like
                              Pelmet isnt tipping forward it is ceiling fixed. If i put a stitch in at the bottom it will solve it but it is pulling it slightly forward so it would only just be grabbing velcro.

Irene

Comment

Working...
                              X