Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box Pelmet for Bay Window

Hi All

I am looking for a little bit of advice. I am about to make a box pelmet for a bay window that is 530cm long with 4 external corners and 6 internal corners. My questions are:

1- Do you think the best material to use is 4mm ply?
    2- Do you think I should make it in one continues piece with taped joins or in sections?
    3- Do you think Velcro will hold the weight?

Dotty

Re: Box Pelmet for Bay Window

Originally posted by Dotty
    2- Do you think I should make it in one continues piece with taped joins or in sections?

Dotty
    1- The material to use to construct really depends upon the weight of the curtains you are gong to hang from it. Are they heavy fabric and interlined/lined? Or is the pelmet to be used just to dress the window for blinds?

2- I always do bays in one piece, taping joins to form the angle required, but guess this depends on personal preference/clients choice. I think separate sections might be easier to work with and cover but have never done it this way myself, perhaps someone else could advise?

3- Do you mean will velcro hold the weight of the pelmet to the wall? Not sure what you mean by this. I would prefer to have any wooden pelmet screwed onto the wall for safety. If this is not what you meant, can you explain?

Comment

I did a pelmet for a square bay with 2 internal & 2 external corners. I made it in three pieces (2 sides & a middle) and joined it at the internal corners using ladder stitches up the back which meant I could get the fabric nice & smooth on the front & no wrinkles on the internal corners.

If you're concerned about the pelmet board holding the weight of the pelmet, you could make the flap that goes over the top of the pelmet board twice as wide as your velcro & use two strips of velcro instead of one. But having said that, as someone pointed out to me, if a strip of velcro can take the weight of a roman blind (often a long & heavy one) I'm sure it can take the weight of a short pelmet.

Good luck - I don't envy you that job at all.
      Jane

Comment

Hi there,
        I have done several of these pelmets with internals and externals, and have decided the best way is to do it in sections, and then sew up the back either in the workroom, or at the client's house, if it is too big and difficult to transport. I use 4mm hardboard and get B and Q to cut to size. If you hang from a pelmet shelf and add extra tabs to go above the board the velcro shouldn't be a problem, especially as yours is quite a long pelmet.(I personally think you get a much better and smoother finish with the fabric when done in sections) Hope this helps,
        Helen

Comment

Hi All

My questions are:

I use 6mm ply and upholster the pelmet using a staple gun and 6mm staples. This holds everything nice and firm and the velcro can be attached to the ply , and adjusted if need be to alter the height the pelmet sits at.

I have found it best in one peice and do it like this as far as is possible. It can be possible to make your fabric joins coincide with the bends, then reinforce the hinge with some tieback buckram. Just be careful when transporting it that you don't "overbend" the corners as the stitching may give.

I have put up huge pelmets with velcro, the biggest being around 550cm wide with a 120cm drop! As long as you "work" the two sides together, (and use a good quality velcro) it will stay up fine. The only thing you may need to do is gimp pin the returns to make sure they dont spring out, though it's not always necessary.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Phil.

Comment

Working...
          X