Rolled edge on Padded Pelmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolled edge on Padded Pelmet

I have just completed the woodwork for a large pelmet and am in need of some advice as to how to cover it. I am thinking of using soft foam to cover the majority of it, but need some guidance on how to form a roll on the edges. The whole thing will be covered with fabric to match the curtains and probably some kind of piping to separate the rolled edge from the flat edge, but I need to make sure that the rolled edge is sufficiently proud of the flat area so as to show properly. What material would you suggest I use to form this rolled edge? I have used jumbo cord before but am sure there must be something better.
    Any ideas gratefully received!

Re: Rolled edge on Padded Pelmet

Hi Minx,

I'm not a 100% sure of what look you're going for... not sure I've seen a pelmet with a rolled, padded edge but you can get a roll of foam from upholstery suppliers for creating rolled edges on chairs and sofas. If you look at J A Milton's Upholstery website you will see it there.

Do let us know how you do your pelmet please.

http://www.jamiltonupholstery.co.uk/sho ... sp?dept=34

then scroll down to pollyfoam or paper edge roll

This is what they say about their product when using for furniture upholstery but I don't see why it couldn't be used slightly differently to create a roll on the edge of a pelmet......

Using Edging Profiles

Have you ever wondered how to make the edge of foam seats firm? How to make them last longer and stop the foam creeping away from the front edge after? Well here’s a tip on one easy way of achieving this and creating a superb finish. Try using an edge profile.

These come in various diameters with a side or centre flange.
    An edge profile can be made of polyfoam or even paper which is remarkably tough.
    Pictured below are just some of the profiles/edge rolls.

Just staple or tack the edge roll to the edge of the board or frame
    Click here to view product

Fit your foam* tightly inside of the profile to create a smooth continuous flow of filling. If necessary you can slightly taper the bottom edge of the foam. You will find that the foam* will need to be slightly higher than the profile as it is softer and will therefore sink into the firmer profile. Just lay a cover of polyester (Luxbond is an excellent brand) over the finished pad and cover with calico or your top cover.

*I have chosen to use foam as my example but other fillings such as rubberised hair or heavy felts can be used in its stead

Why use polyester over foam?

Using polyester over your foam serves three purposes. Foam will rot when exposed to UV light and dust, the polyester finish will help protect it from both elements. Furthermore the top cover will look, feel and behave better when not in direct contact with the foam. Never put velvet or other piled fabrics directly onto foam as the natural movement of the foam may grab the underside of the cloth and strip it of its pile creating bare patches.

Comment

Hi Minx
      I have done a few of these. I use polyester wadding over the whole pelmet, then cover the centre section with fabric which I staple down. I then staple the piping 2" up from the bottom( or whatever width you are doing) and then staple on the fabric using a back tacking strip. You can then add extra wadding if you want to have a really thick edge and then bring the fabric around to the back & taple it in place. You can then add a further row of piping if you want. I use plywood for the pelmet. To make the inside look really neat, I staple the lining onto
      the back and then glue an ivory gimp over the staples. Hope you can understand!
      janie

Comment

Thanks Janie and Jules.
        The edging profiles look really good and will bear them in mind. I also have a chair to recover which these will do nicely for.

Been looking around and found a video on you tube (about headboards) which shows the look I want, complete with pleated edge fabric. It is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0sZkHdN ... re=related It goes on for another few episodes till it is finally complete. Think there are around 8 in total. (Is it just me who wishes they would not use that awful whistle at the beginning of every video?) Cutting out thick foam in the shape required is one possibility, but think I will just go with thick foam and mark and staple the shape I want about 10cm in from the edge, as Janie suggests. Going to try it on a sample piece first. Plan is to separate each section with a contrast piping.

To answer Jules, I made pelmet is out of thick wood planking and mdf, some of it scrap from previous projects. Wish I had taken pictures at each step, but will post the current and final finished pictures if I can find my camera!!

I measured the bay window and fitted shelf brackets to support the pelmet and at the height I wanted it to be installed. Cut out template from cardboard, starting with the largest central piece over the middle of the window. Two more pieces each side of the bay. I used my trusty flexible, adjustable angle guide thingy (yes, thingy is a technical term in my world!!) to ensure that each angle is cut to fit the shape of the splay bay. A further two pieces for the return edge, which were made to give enough of a return for the curtains to fold back away from the window. I taped each to the previous one as I went along. Once complete I put it on top of the brackets to check, making any necessary adjustments for walls which are not exactly true.

I cut the wood for the front faces out of MDF and remnants of wood planking, and put them together using buckram off cuts. Any strong fabric remnants will do i.e. hessian, denim etc.) stapled over the joins to create the angle I wanted. Final step was to nail front to the top of the pelmet. All in all I am happy with it. Much easier to use cardboard as a template to save hauling large pieces of wood all over the place when I dont have to!

I do plan to cover the inside with lining to match the one used for my curtains. Gimp braid is great, as Janie said, to finish off.
        Thanks for all your help. things are much clearer now!!

Comment

Working...
        X