No announcement yet.

In need of Lambrequin Advice, Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of Lambrequin Advice, Please!!

[attachment=1:3gnpreru]HPIM1368.JPG[/attachment:3gnpreru] [attachment=0:3gnpreru]HPIM1453.JPG[/attachment:3gnpreru]

Hi, I've been asked to do a lambrequin plus roman for the window shown ( tension wires will be used for the roman, so that's o.k. I know how I'll approach that ) It's the lambrequin on the sloping ceiling that is giving me sleepless nights. I've never made one before and I'm just not sure, what are the best materials to use for the job.?

I've looked 'thru all the posts and online etc and come across things such as bendable ply, bendable mdf, loomstate canvas, 180z.pelmet canvas. laminated ready, interlined pelmet buckram. Help, I'm completely confused as to what would be the easiest material to work with.

My idea is to echo the pattern on the silk fabric that will be used for the roman. The self colour fabric will cover the lambrequin. This is just such a tricky window in a difficult room but for a very nice client who appears to have every confidence in me that I can do this. I don't share that feeling. Any help will be appreciated.

Cat C.
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: In need of Lambrequin Advice, Please!!

Hi there Cat
    When I have done lambrequins I have used 6ml ply with wadding as you can then staple into it.
    It looks as though you will be doing the lambrequin on the outside of the window and so it will need to have return sides as I think there is an architrave around the window. However I'm not sure how you would fix it, due to the angle unless you could pin it into the architrave at the bottom.
    Alternativly what about doing a flat one that's the same size as the architrave and fixing it with battens inside the window frqame, but that would stop the window opening fully.
    My personal view is that its in a very awkward space and a dressing too far - I would want to draw the eye away from it rather than make a feature out of it, by having a simple velux blind in it and just enjoy the light that it gives the room. However judging by your customers existing syle I guess simplicity isn't her bag!
    Good luck
    Janie

Comment

Hi Janie, Thank you for your reply. Firstly, I'm with you on the dressing too far. I have tried twice to suggest a more simply styled solution but (his) heart seems set on this.I suggested just the roman or even better a roller but he thinks that that will look too bedroom like! So, the pressure is on to makes this as look as good as possible. Have you only used 6mm ply before? My instinct is to use something as lightweight as possible and then of course, my concern is, how do I fit it. As there is an architrave around the window so it will have returns plus a roman sitting to the outside of the window recess.

It doesn't help of course when I discuss this problem with my husband, he says "don't you think it will look a bit Punch & Judy " I think I'll go searching for the rolling pin!!

Cat

P.S. If anyone can think of any alternative idea apart from this lambrequin that would please my client I would be ever so grateful.
      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Hi there

I may be being extremely stupid here, but aren't the folds in your Roman blind going to hang down? Or are they 'faux' Romans?

Regarding the Lambrequin, can you not use Velcro? I know it's not ideal, but nor is the space you are working with.

By the way feel free to ignore my thoughts I'm not a pro, but an enthusiastic amateur!

Good Luck, and let us know how you go on.

Kind regards, Jessie.
        I'd rather be sewing!

Comment

Hi Jessie, The roman will have tension wires/cord as described on pg. 107 Merrick and Day, Curtain Inspiration Book. So far, I thought that I could fix fabric covered batons on top and both sides of architrave. Fix velcro down all outside edges plus on top facing edge for roman. Provided the structure isn't too rigid this may work?

Cat c.
          Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Why not a shutter in the Velux window and paint the whole lot white so it disappears as much a possible.

Silly question but why would anyone put a roof light over a fire place?

Comment

Hi Rosie, Looked at the shutter option but client not interested. The roof light was put in first then the fireplace! I have to say that my photographing skills are awful and the picture I took makes the fireplace and window look very close together. In reality, it looks a lot better.

Cat C.
              Kind regards

Cat

Comment

I went to see a show house which had lambrequins up at the window and they were just stuck on with velcro - direct to the wall!! I would have fixed a thin batton to the wall and then attached the velcro to this - it could be painted as the wall or covered in fabric as the blind.
                You could use 4mm ply which would save a little weight.

Good Luck

Julie
                Julie

Comment

Hi Julie, Thank you for your reply. As I think my way 'thru it, covered batons/velcro seem to have the fixing issue sorted. Perhaps 4mm. ply could work. Do you know how shape cutting is normally done. I Intend to make a pattern template but just wondered what tools are used to shape if I used ply.? I was thinking fret saw/jig saw ?

Cat C.
                  Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Now that I have imagined the window without its current dreadful treatment, I think a lambrequin that echoes the shape of the fire bit, the black metal ogee shape, what's that bit of a fireplace called? might be all right. I think a jigsaw the one for the shaping.

Still be better with a velux blind, can't you get them made in a particular fabric? That ought to be expensive enough for him.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi, I can't remember what the fireplace thing is called either but you are right, if that shape is echoed in the lambrequin it should work.

Thanks,

Cat
                      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Working...
                      X