Padding on stiff pelmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padding on stiff pelmets

I was wondering what type of padding you all use on your pelmets. In the past I've used wadding but this time I thought I might try a thin foam, 5 or 10mm and if I did would I need to cover it with something before I put on the face fabric? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Co
    Kind regards
    Colina

Re: Padding on stiff pelmets

Hi there Coco,
    I think we probably all have different ways but I use hardboard and then 410gm heavy interlining, then face fabric, never had a problem.
    You could use lining between the interlining and fabric if it was for example, a silk top fabric. Sometimes the top fabric, (if its very fine) tends to take on the outline of the interlining.
    Kind regards, Helen

Comment

Do you mean wood based ones or buckram/canvas one?

If wood try this link for good information.

http://my.decozo.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=20

Comment

I would use interlining usually, but if I wanted a more padded look, I would use wadding. On buckram (which I don't use anymore) I would use interlining.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you all for your help. It is a plywood pelmet I'm making. I used to use MDF but found that the staples go into the plywood better. I have to admit I've never made a buckram pelmet. I have plenty of wadding so will just use that to pad it out rather than buy foam. Thanks again.
          Kind regards
          Colina

Comment

Coco,
            I dont think you would want to use foam on a pelmet. And if you did, you would have to cover it with wadding. Fabric just 'sticks' to wadding, and wont move to go where you want it to, and wadding also softens the look of foam.
            Regards
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I made a pelmet recently using 1" white foam which is the softest. This was to match the style of finish on the headboard. The pelmet had a ruched banding with piping either side and I was pleased with how it came out (apart from one minor error which if I ever post a photo you will see.........working late at night when tired and under pressure can lead to silly, and out of character mistakes!!)
              It required a bit more care to make than wadding or interlining, which I normally use but in the right situation I would use it again.

Phil

Comment

I do hope you post it Phil.

Comment

If using interlining as padding on plywood pelmets how would you attach it? Would you take over the edge and staple it on?

Thanks
                  Co
                  Kind regards
                  Colina

Comment

viewtopic.php?f=109&t=20

Just give yourself 10 minutes to watch this video. All will be clear. It's an excellent 'how to' in great detail.

Comment

Hi there Coco,
                      I would lay out the interlining on the work table, smooth it out so its nice and flat. Lay your pelmet board on the top then bring round the interlining to the back so that you have 5 cms showing on all edges. I then stick these edges down with copydex glue, doing a little at the time. Hope this helps.( I do bay window pelmets in separate sections)
                      regards Helen

Comment

I am making 4 Pelmets. Two for my daughter and two for my daughter-in-law. My daughter wants hers really padded and my daughter-in-law wants hers padded as little as possible!! I thought that interlining would probably be a better option than thin wadding for least padded ones so I think I'll go with that.

Thank you all for your help and advice.
                        Co
                        Kind regards
                        Colina

Comment

Working...
                        X