Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaped pelmet - Trimfix adhesive tape

Hi

I am attempting to make a shaped pelmet and want to add a trim at the bottom edge (the shaped) I tried a staple gun, but cannot get a fixing, has anyone used Trimfix adhesive tape or fabric glue!!!!

JE

Re: Shaped pelmet - Trimfix adhesive tape

I would glue it on. Put the glue onto the pelmet, a small section at a time. I use white PVA - be careful to use enough but not too much!
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hia JE

I have used Trimfix with great results, especially on very ornate pelmets with lots of shape,would recommend it compared to glue.

Regards
      Julie
      Kind Regards
      Julie Monty

Comment

I put all braid type trims onto pelmets with a hot glue gun.

Phil

Comment

The master speaks!!
          Rosannagh

Comment

hot glue gun like the ones sold in hobby craft shops? Never used one, does the glue take long to dry and is it messy, my braiding is navy blue?

JE

Comment

The glue doesn't dry, it sets. It's only liquid when hot (very, very hot so watch your fingers). It is almost clear when set. Use it sparingly. Make sure you practice before sallying forth on your pelmet as there is a technique to not blobbing it all over the place or getting 'strings' you'll struggle to remove.

Comment

Buy a good quality gun and glue sticks. In my experience the cheaper glue stick melt unevenly and it is difficult to get an even bead.

Practice first!

I tend to do about 6" at a time. With practice you'll learn to regulate the bead to be appropriate to the width of trim you are using. Lay the bead along the centre line of where you want the trim to sit. Pull the trim so it is just tight and lay on the glue bead, then gently work it down onto the glue. This will spread the glue and ensure the trim stays fixed. You can move the trim slightly if required, but only for about 10 seconds. After that it should be fixed, with the glue properly set after about 2 minutes.

If using rope, I sometimes use the staple gun to set a slight groove into the face of the pelmet for the rope to sit in.

If you need to reposition or change the trim, as I had to do once for a "difficult" client, if you use a hot iron over a piece of lining you can melt the glue enough to pull it off.

A coule of tips:

1. The glue is hot! Be careful when using it because it will burn you if you aren't careful!!

2. If you get a glob or string ofglue on your work LEAVE IT. gently blow on it until it just starts to turn to jelly. Use a stanley knife blade to get underneath the edge and it should just peel off.

Good luck

Phil

Comment

Many thanks for all your help everybody, think I will probably experiment with all three, Trimfix, fabric glue and gun befor I commit to pelmet.

JE

Comment

Working...
                  X