Shaped soft pelmets - price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaped soft pelmets - price?

Can anyone give me an idea of a reasonable price to charge for soft pelmets like the ones shown here, on my photobucket page? I've given up trying to add images to my posts (much to Philip's relief I'm sure, as he's always had to rescue his site from my chaos up to now).

The client wants these replicated in her new home. She doesn't move in until July so I have no idea of sizes until then. However, she wants a basic estimated cost for now and I'll quote properly later once I have the sizes. There's no stiffening at all, just two sided fabric shapes stitched to velcro and attached to a batten.

I usually estimate my plain flat pelmets at a cost per metre, but there's so much more involved in the construction of these that there's no way I'm doing it for that price. I've never done one before though, so would really appreciate any advice on time and cost anyone can give me. PM me if you'd prefer.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb21 ... elldesign/

Thank you!

Re: Shaped soft pelmets - price?

Nobody got any ideas at all? Hmmm.

Comment

I've never done one like this either. But calculate how long it will take to make each triangle, and then guess at the assembly time. It is a learning curve for you as well, so in theory it should be a win-win situation - either you get a good price, or you get to learn a new method!
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Bluebell,

Detailed instructions on how to make these are in Caroline Wrey - Curtain Style Book. I don't have the book, but I did borrow it from the library once. Basically the triangles are made like bunting, front and back right sides together then turn. Then they are stitched onto a binding which has Velcro attached. Quite simple. Obvious tip - some triangles will be neater than others, put any dodgy ones at the back! Her tip not mine!

You cannot fit a pelmet of this nature into a standard pricing structure, as it is a one off. I would make a few triangles to test and pro rata the time, adding in the attaching to the binding, and fitting of course. I've never made one before, so it would be nice to see the finished product.

Sue

Comment

[attachment=0:36c523jv]bluebellpel.jpg[/attachment:36c523jv]

Hope you don't mind but I got this off your photobucket site.

Comment

The sizes will have a serious inpact upon your estimated costs. Can the quote be delayed until you have seen the windows?

Comment

Theres a lady on ebay who sells these sectional pelmets - Generally they are priced at around £26.00 plus postage - You can view a selection here. Thepelmetlady How lomng did the one in the picture take you to make, maybe you could charge hourly based on this one.

Philip
              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Sorry everyone, I obviously didn't make it clear - these were made by someone else, not me, the client just wants them copied in her new home. Her original curtain maker will be too far away to replicate these in the new house.

I'm not going to quote until I get sizes at all, but was going to give her a guesstimate labour cost. I don't even know the sizes of the originals, so I'm completely at a loss here.

I think now I'll get back in touch with her and tell her I need sizes before I can give her any idea of costs. I think this will be a less stressful way of working.

Thank you all so much for all the advice - as I've only seen these photos, it never occurred to me to think of it as bunting.

cheers me dears

Lois
                x

Comment

Success - I emailed her to tell her I was uncomfortable about giving any idea of price without knowing sizes and she's okay with this, and is willing to meet me at the new house over the weekend. I think it's a brand new house from the sounds of things, as there's nobody moving out and it'll be July before it's fully ready.

Really pleased with this outcome. Thank you all so much for the advice.

Lois
                  x

Comment

Working...
                  X