Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelmet in bay/bow window

Hi all,

I've been asked to make curtains and a pelmet for a bay window, which is almost circular. It is a beautiful shape and, while they have pleated valances in some of the other rooms, I thought that a plain stiffened pelmet following the (almost) curve of the window would look best. I don't have a lot of pelmet experience so would appreciate some advice.

Firstly, I was planning to make this out of pelmet canvas as I can't see how else a pelmet would be able to curve round the window. I've made a couple of straight pelmets with pelmet canvas and the results were quite good but I wondered whether anyone had attempted to fit one round a curved area? Any problems? The pelmet will be around 28cm deep and the window is approx 265 cm wide.

Secondly, there is already a valance track fitted above the curtain track - do you think it would be possible to attach the pelmet to that? I could either apply adhesive velcro to the track and then attach the pelmet to that as I would to a pelmet board. Or perhaps use sewn in hooks positioned behind each bracket to keep it in shape. Or a combination of both! I wasn't sure whether the valance track would cope with the weight of the pelmet. But don't know what other type of fitting could be used in a curved area. I don't really want to go down the pleated valance route if possible...

Thanks for your help
    Sue

Re: Pelmet in bay/bow window

My first thought is that a inward curved pelmet may be baggy on the face, and not easy to get smooth. I think you would be much better off with a valance of some sort, fixed to a board.

I would never fix a pelmet to a valance track - you just wouldn't get a good finish, as it would sag between hooks and SA velcro would stay stuck to the track, unless you candycane wrapped it on.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen,

I did wonder about the pelmet remaining smooth round the curve. I just think that a valance could look a bit fussy but it probably is the best option. I am doing the curtains underneath as double pleats (so they stack back well) so I guess the best thing might be to do a valance the same. And that would also have the benefit of being able to be hung from the existing valance track!

Thanks for your help
      Sue

Comment

In my opinion, I would fit a timber board around the shape of the curve and then fit velsro to the front edge, use 1/8" ply for the pelmet face , covered in dommette or wadding and upholstered , then attach with velcro.

Simple !!! dont think so , but will work.

Comment

Working...
        X