Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kls
    replied
    Enid you can cut essex board with a scalpel.

Leave a comment:

• CatherineL
    replied
    The larger B&Q stores have a timber cutting service. I use their 5mm plywood for pelmets which they cut to size for me. Although it does mean buying a full sheet of plywood.

Leave a comment:

• enid
    replied
    Hallis do sell it as do Jones but not sure if it comes in a board that you would need to cut to size yourself. That's why I used the ply and got the timber merchant to cut for me.

Leave a comment:

• kls
    replied
    I am sure Hallis Hudson sell Essex board. Easy to open an account & you may find other items you need to cover the min purchase to bring it up to the no carriage fee threshhold.

Leave a comment:

• enid
    commented on 's reply
    I have not done many pelmets but did use the ply for one last year. Local timber merchants T and P , cut it for me, they seemed to know exactly what I needed and what it was for. Surprised me really but it worked.

• dellyb
    replied
    Hi thanks...yes I’ve been searching all morning for suppliers and upholsterers near me and thy havnt even heard of it... I can buy some 3.6mm ply and the timber yard said they would cut it to size for me ... I may try still to find a board merchant who may be able to suggest something. Thanks so much for your help ... i will get there one days soon ha ha x

Leave a comment:

• Louise
    replied
    That looks a reasonably strong rail with good fixings - you should be fine to attach a covered board type pelmet to that with Velcro. Essex board may only be available via trade suppliers - I've just done a quick search for an online retail suppliers with no joy,

You could use a thin ply which would be a similar weight?

Leave a comment:

• dellyb
    replied
    The existing rail x

Leave a comment:

• dellyb
    replied
    Ah thanks for that. Yes reinforcing it would be best. Is the Essex board something you would be able to buy in person or is it mainly only online? I have asked at a few curtain fabric places but they don’t know about it.

Leave a comment:

• Carolineblue4
    replied
    Ailsa, re. joining Essex board. Yes, use a strong tape and make sure the edges make a perfect butt. As the long pelmet is for your own house you haven't got the problem of transporting it , so to support the joint I would use the tape to add another piece of card over the front and back and have the card thinner than the Essex board. This gives a tiny bit of bulk, but it won't show through wadding and fabric.
    Caroline

Leave a comment:

• Louise
    replied
    It could be because you have not been a member long enough to attach photos as this is a new user account. By all means mail the picture to me at enquire@s-sewing.co.uk and I will post it here for you.....

Leave a comment:

• dellyb
    replied
    I am just trying to upload attachment of the photo but its saying I am now allowed?...can anyone help please?

Leave a comment:

• dellyb
    replied
    Hi.... sorry admin... not sure what has happened, but I lost the ability to reply on my user account ailsadell.... I have sent you a message but not had a reply as yet....

Essex board... thanks for the suggestion on that, but I wasn't sure about using it as I would have to join it... do you do that with gaffa tape or something? It was more the weight of the pelmet being fitted with Velcro in general, but if that is how most do it, I guess I am worrying for nothing over the weight?

I will try upload a photo with my mobile, when I work out how to

Leave a comment:

• Louise
    replied
    Hi Ailsa - could you show a photo of the track/system you have as that would help with suggesting possible solutions.....?
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Carolineblue4
    replied
    Hi Alisa, there is an alternative to both buckram and pelform, which as you say may buckle over time, and heavy ply, and that's Essex board. Essentially it's a thick cardboard, very rigid which means you treat it like ply. But I'm not familiar with the pelmet/track combo you have. Are you replacing an existing pelmet or a fabric valance? If the brackets that hold it to the wall are strong, ie. metal not plastic then you may be ok. There's no problem with using Velcro to affix a heavy pelmet because it's industry standard to do so these days. Hopefully someone else has experience of the corded track/pelmet combo.
    Caroline

Leave a comment:

Working...
X