Roman blind pelmet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman blind pelmet

Dear all, I am having to make a small 8cm deep pelmet to cover the top of a roman blind.

This is not to be on a standard pelmet board but with a boxed top which sits on top of the mechanism brackets with velcro.

Just wondering if anyone has any pointers on the construction of these? I was just going to gaffer tape it together before covering but not sure if I should have another piece of wood inside the front edge to pin it to? The pelmet top section is only 5.5 cm deep to cover the mechanism.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Kind Regards
    Christine

Hi Christine - I just did a quick search for 'essex board roman' and there are a few posts about how people have made a box type construction from essex board...I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures on the Denton Drapes FB page too.

Hope that helps......
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Louise,

Thank you for getting back to me, I will try your suggestions.

I have just found a post 'mini pelmet to cover roman blind cassette' however it does not really cover the making of the actual box. I don't have any essex board and I was going to make this in 5mm ply? I have had the strips cut to size.

Kind Regards

Christine

Comment

I think ply would work just as well...as the finished 'box' will sit on top of the track and not be load bearing then I think the gaffer tape would be fine...the face fabric will also help add strength to the finished pelmet. I use the tape when I make the hinges on curtain pelmets and have never had problems.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Did you find this post that covers a little more about how people construct?
          Materials, shapes, construction and fitting advice and ideas
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yes this is the post I found, but I coundn't find any info about making the box prior to covering. The pelmet is very wide for its type being 270cm! Therefore I don't want it to start sagging.

Kind Regards
            Christine

Comment

That's wide! Will you be able to make it so it sits on the top of the blind track for support all along the length?
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yes, it is to sit on top of the tracks brackets with sticky velcro, so I suppose this will support it but I wouldn't want the front droppping away? Or perhaps I am overthinking and this does not happen?
                Just not sure that it is going to be stable enough given the length.

Kind Regards
                Christine

Comment

You really need something a bit heavier than the ply on the top. At a wood yard you should be able to find some 1/2 inch thick wood in various widths. The ply face and ends could the be glued and or stapled to this, with just a bit of gaffer tape down the corners. (that's the way I make all box pelmets, upping the weight of the top board for bigger pelmets were I want to attach tracks)
                  John Quine
                  Brooke Design
                  Fylde Coast

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. Quiney the way you have suggested is how I would normally think as well. However in this situation, it was to be more of a mini mock pelmet just to cover the blind mechanism and to give a more finished look. In the end I ran out of time deliberating and just had to get on with it and so made the mini pelmet in 5mm ply taped together with gaffer tape. I then covered the whole thing in interlining and fabric. I was quite surprised that it held together so well and was actually quite strong. I did not want the top to be heavy as the height of the pelmet was only 8cm. I did put a flap at the back which ran down behind the back of the mechanism and attached to the wall for a bit of extra support although I am not sure this was really necessary. I will be going back to the house at some point as this is an ongoing job so hopefully will be able to get a photo at some point.

Kind Regards
                    Christine

Comment

Thanks for sharing what you decided Christine - would love to see a photo if you are able to get one.....
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I'm sure I saw a thread or article on here which included a photo of a blind (pale linen as I recall) where it looked like the top pleat was wider and turned back to cover the sides of the track like a pelmet. My interior design friend and I were always saying that would be ideal but I never could work out how to do it.
                        I've searched but can't find it
                        We used to refer to this hypothetical design as "the modesty flap" !

Comment

Working...
                        X